If the G.B. and WTS don't have good motives, what is the point.....

by Mightyone 54 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Honesty
    Honesty

One property that the Watchtower Society bought in 1974 for approximately $1 million just before Armageddon didn't take place sold for approximately $25 million a few years ago...

http://rismedia.com/wp/2004-09-24/neighborhood-watch-developer-buys-last-large-land-tract-left-in-los-angeles-neighborhood/

http://www.troxler.com/news/sept2004.asp

"How Are You Using Your Life?" is an article found on page 3 in the MAY 1974 KINGDOM MINISTRY.

It said that, "By carefully and prayerfully examining our own circumstances, we also may find that we can spend more time and energy in preaching during this final period before the present system ends. Many of our brothers and sisters are doing just that. This is evident from the rapidly increasing number of pioneers.

Yes, since the summer of 1973 there have been new peaks in pioneers every month. Now there are 20,394 regular and special pioneers in the United States, an all-time peak. That is 5,190 more than there were in February 1973! A 34-percent increase! Does that not warm our hearts?Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in thepioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end. — 1 John 2:17."

Yes brothers, at the same time the Watchtower Society was commending those who gave up their homes in order to spend more time and energy in preaching during the short time remaining before the wicked world’s
    end which did not take place in 1975 the organization was buying valuable property which was later sold for an immense profit.

Does that not warm your hearts?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It's all about power. Imagine being one member of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. You have the power to control how millions of people are going to act, just by putting out a Washtowel or Asleep! and telling them that certain conduct is now wrong or that some doctrine is the opposite of how it was up to that point. That is what most of them are in it for.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I would say that the benifits people recieve (indcluding the leadership) are primarliy of a social nature.

Many people within the Watchtower system receive benefits from being a part of the movement. What makes it difficult for some to understand is that these benefits aren't as easy to spot as lets say a new corvette in the driveway.

Individual members receive comfort from their beliefs as well as security from being within such a highly controlled environment. I have to admit that sometimes when I look back to life in JWs I don't see all bad. Living within that system brings some control into your life, something definition to what you feel your 'purpose' it.

The idea of advance and prominence within the social environment is another huge factor. Men continue to work their way up the 'theocratic ladder' so to speak, receiving prominence and social prestige from being in such a position. These are things that as people we desire, and if you are in a social environment that provides for it people will reach out.

One of the main reasons the Watchtower has been suffering in the area of member retention is because these benefits can only be reached by a select few. The leadership has been very stingy with what it gives back to the membership, resulting in more people leaving than is necessary. If people (especially young people) where offered more by the organization I doubt that over 50-60% of them would be leaving when they become adults.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    I mean, the recent changes on just about everything being left up to our individual consciences, is a huge step to restoring the idea that we truely answer to Jehovah rather than man

what?? where did you get this idea from?

Other than blood fractions the pendulum has swung back the other way! We are told what to read, view, listen too.(Sep07 KM) Education is a no-no again. Oral sex is a no-no again.
    After my last assembly the buzz is about throwing out any clothes that are even slightly revealing or tight.

JW's like to say this is the case but in reality it isnt. Its all about wording. The WT talks about conscience matters and stumbling others in the same articles.
    It is up to our conscience as to what we do BUT - if we stumble our bro/sis then look out. We may be blood guilty.
    IN OTHER WORDS - We arent responsible for the consequences of your decisions because we never actually told you what to do so you cant sue us if things go bad, but if you make the wrong free choice Jehovah may kill you at Armageddon. So make your own choice but if your choice isnt the one we want you to make you should use your free will to make the other choice.

I have been in this org long enough to know this IS the case. The recent study WT's have enforced this more than ever. JW's think they have more freedom of choice because they have been programmed through double talk to come to that conclusion. This is what cults do !! and the WTS are VERY good at it!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

What is the motivation of any cult leadership? Few of them are rich in the sense that we would consider them wealthy. They are well provided for-but most will not be leaving anything to children. Trevasser(another thread) gets sex and adoration out of it-his following is tiny. The LDS church guys are usually in positions of success and power BEFORE they become apostles/prophets etc. They serve as missionaries, elders, stake presidents-without any salary-and giving 10% min. to the church. David Koresh didn't have much in the way of worldly 'wealth' that he could wallow in. Sure, they get their compounds, living situation. . . all ANY of them really get is POWER to control the lives of the(ier) followers. Power is the trip.

• still_in74
    still_in74

Its just an out of control machine and they are too afraid to turn it off or jump off themselves

They really, really think the great and fear inspiring day of Joe hovah is near.

I agree with these 2. The other options (IMHO) are not realistic

WOW - 500 OF 500 - MASTER MEMBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe it.... I am so proud

• metatron
    metatron

What is religion, anyway? Mostly just OCD !!!

All too often we look for a deeper reason for religious devotion when the simplest explanation will do.

Mormons 'gotta' wear special underwear. JW's 'gotta' go out in service. Muslims 'gotta' do 5 times prayer.

I swear that many of these people would continue in these habits even if they knew it was futile.

metatron

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Excellent coverage here of how some GB members might want to keep quiet about
    their disillusionment because they suffered for years to get there, now don't want to
    lose what they have. Also, excellent point that they can look at what happened to
    Ray Franz and say, "I don't want that for me."

Now there is an interesting topic. I've heard, for as long as Bowen was slinging his propaganda about the "pedophile paradise", that the WTS needs to do something. Yet I have never heard one logical, practical, workable solution.

The problem we face arguing this point is that we hate to offer solutions within the
    frame of the WTS's way of doing things.

In other words, how do WE offer a solution in the congregations to a problem of
    pedophiles when WE just wish the members would wake up and leave the organization?
    How can we say, "If it were really God's organization, then..." when we don't believe it's
    God's organization?

Well, I have still heard plenty of common-sense solutions. They can stop putting the
    organization ahead of the individual. They can discover a danger in the congregation and
    fully cooperate with the authorities, they can follow the authorities in their outcome. They
    can ask the parents about the outcome of the psychiatric evaluation and follow the court
    trial and base their decision to shun and warn the congregation on that. Instead, they want
    to hide the WTS connection and avoid full cooperation with any authorities and say that they
    stick with the 2-witness rule.

That said, I don't believe in shunning anyone. Another solution would be to tell parents and
    young ones that there can be dangers within their own congregation or family. Don't assume
    that you or your children are safe from predators just because an adult is an elder or any
    kind of JW. They could find programs for their elders to go through to learn how to help and
    warn potential victims. They could regularly pass that information through their endless
    meetings along with other practical advice, instead of covering the REVELATION GRAND CLIMAX
    book a 4th time and spend time every year telling adults to wear their badges and how it is
    wrong to get hotels off the approved list and how they should not cook in their hotel rooms.
    Treat the members like responsible adults and their families and actually educate them.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I like how everyone is throwing around these motives the GB has that can't be proven. The only factually perspective we have to go on is that of Ray Franz, and he believed that the intentions were good in the sense that these people really believed what they were doing was good. That being said there has not been one scrap of evidence to suggest these men have evil motives or are intentionally and maliciously pulling the wool over peoples eyes.

• Jenlet
    Jenlet

Forgive me for being incredulous, but can't you guess at an answer to your question "what is the point"?

The Watchtower Society is like any other major multi-national corporation based in New York, like Merrill Lynch, Pepsi, IBM, TIAA-CREF... the list goes on.

Regardless of the current financial outlook, those corporations need to survive another day so the management and workers can continue to get paid and everybody can remain employed.

Every company is ultimately in the business of making money and the WTS is no exception. The point is to manage the organization such that it is profitable.

I suggest that you read Crisis of Conscience. The author does a good job of explaining the desirable lifestyle enjoyed by the Watchtower senior management team.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit