BEAT that Child!

by Farkel 49 Replies latest jw friends

• recovering
    recovering

Tylinbrando My heart pains me to hear what you endured

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I think those of us that were one of many siblings really did get the crap beat out of us a lot. I have posted about this before, but one of the most horrific beatings I ever received was in the mid 70's. I was in about the 4th grade and my family had just purchased our first cassette tape recorder (Most likely for the use at assemblies). Anyway, one of my brothers dared me to say the pledge of allegience into it. When I did, my brother went running to my parents with the recording. I was beat close to unconscious - but, I am sure my parents felt Jehovah's blessing on that beating.

• frankiespeakin
  • cofty
    cofty

One day we will all look back and wonder how we ever thought it was acceptable for an adult to strike a child.

It is illegal in the UK for a parent to use any implement to spank their child - slipper, belt etc. If they use their hand and it leaves a mark they can be prosecuted. I would always intervene if I saw a child being hit in public. When I was young it was commonplace. Times they are a changin - for the better.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

What did Bro Jackson say about corporal punishment to the ARC?

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@ThomasCovenant "Ours is a more... spiritual discipline." Stewart had to keep repeating the question before getting a sort-of answer. "Does your organization condone corporal punishment?"

Jackson stammered: "...N-no. Not personally... And not as an organization."

Bullsh*t.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Jackson's blatant dishonesty at the ARC regarding corporeal punishment prompted the following article. It was a tough question, due to laws in Australia limiting violence to children.

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/child-discipline-corporal-punishment.php

I remember the Hobart Central congregation Watchtower study conductor stepping off the stage and spanking his teenage child in front of everyone. And he was one of the nicer Elders.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I have had some very odd conversations with people on this. I did smack my children occasionally when a relatively new father but I thought about it, worked out I was being a dick so stopped. I can't understand why so many still feel it's not just acceptable but a reasonable way to moderate behaviour. You have to stop sometime and find another way so why not from day 1?

Not that long ago a friend said to me that a lack of smacking is why kids are so bad today. I had a heated conversation with her as the ignorance and logical fallacies spewing out of her mouth infuriated me. She still didn't get it, accusing me of not respecting others' right to raise their kids as they see fit. I told her society's historical deference to the seemingly unassailable right of parents to do what they like with their kids is why child abuse has gone on for so long.

• blankspace
    blankspace

I remember the Watchtower magazine being used to beat up us kids at meetings. We were just 4 or 5 years old and couldn't sit still through all the boring talks. Our aunt (an annoyingly devout special pioneer) would take us out, roll up the Watchtower magazine tightly so that it resembled a rod and beat us with it. Many other parents too did the same thing. Years later it was sickening to hear them all joke about how they had literally disciplined their kids with the pages of the Watchtower. And yes I remember the song about "they are gifts from God, he says use the rod". Many adults would nudge their kids while singing. The whole thing was sickening. My elder sister got it much worse that I did. She still has wounds and scars of her beatings.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We teach children NOT to use physical actions on other people in order to get their attention, assert power or punish them....but apparently it is ok for the parent to do it to a child?

hmmm...so, its a case of "do as I say, not as I do"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit