BEAT that Child!

by Farkel 49 Replies latest jw friends

• msil
    msil

I might post some experiences on this another time....sorry if I offended anyone. I honestly never meant to.

Sorry,
    MSIL

• Andee
    Andee

Teejay,

I do NOT think you will regret your decision not to spank you child.

My best girl friend comes from a family of six kids. Before we were both old married ladies and shared an apartment, we were expecting a visit from her parents. I remember how she spoke of her Dad. Very strict with her upbringing and didn't put up with any bull from his brood.

Of course, I assumed that she really had some stories to tell about the beatings that must have gone on in HER house. I mentioned that and she looked at me with shock and said "Oh! My parents never HIT us, EVER!" Then she started to tell me about some of the creative disipline they got that actually TAUGHT them something. Isn't that the point of disipline?? To teach our kids? Anyway, after she told me that, it was my turn to be shocked. It was almost beyond my comprehension not to be hit.

Interesting thing about that her family. They are also athiests. The whole group of them. However, they are the nicest, most well adjusted, supportive of each other, undysfunctional family I have ever known.

Andee

• Andee
    Andee

I'm sure it is, Msil. I hope you had a ball!

Being beaten by an individual that is suppose to PROTECT you from harm is not only physically scaring, but emotionally scaring too.

Andee

• teejay
    teejay

"If you assaulted, hit, or punched your neighbor, or someone you met on the street, you'd go to jail for battery. Why can you do this to a child and think it's okay?"

My point exactly! There's only one answer, Tatiana: because the bible says so, and this IS a 'Christian' nation, eh?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andee,

My best girl friend comes from a family of six kids. [she said]My parents never HIT us, EVER!" Then she started tell me about some of the creative disipline they got that actually TAUGHT them something. Isn't that the point of disipline?? To teach our kids?

I think that parents who automatically fall back on spanking as a form of discipline lack imagination. And careful thought. You want your kids to learn, not fear physical pain (or their father), which is all that spankings really teach, imo.

I'm not the least bit interested in hurting my daughter physically. I embrace my role as her chief protector, shielding her from as much of that as possible. If anything, I want my Little One to be afraid that I'm going to tickle her to death.

Interesting thing about that her family. They are also athiests. The whole group of them. However, they are the nicest, most well adjusted, supportive of each other, undysfunctional family I have ever known.

That *is* interesting... and encouraging. I've wondered how I would be able to instill 'Christian' ideals in my daughter without claiming to be a Christian myself. I must admit -- nearly every single agnostic/atheist person I've ever known were very decent, highly moral people.

Thanks, Andee.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw... hope you're doing okay, Farkel. I think about you sometimes...

• cat1759
    cat1759

Thanks for bringing back such wonderful memories. Actually, it is against the law to hit your children. The last meeting I went to the speaker was commanding everyone to spank their children. That was the very last time I went period. I felt they were abusing their leadership role and thus making abusers out of the rest of the flock.

Thank god for the light. One day Jesus said..those that hurt his little sheep will reap what they have sown. Yep...waiting for that day. Tired of being manhandled out to the bathroom for a good old whip ass. Yep and you wonder why I am psychotic.
    cathy

• Diest
    Diest

Bump.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Thanks for bumping this Diest!

Fred Franz stated that some hard whacks to the backside was the best "medicine" of all

Said by a man that never even raised a pet. More words of wisdom pulled from his ass.

• dgp
    dgp

Bookmarked

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

There is no juvenile delinquency in the animal realm, because there are no delinquent animal mothers.

Silly JWs: apparently there's not many animal behaviorists (not to mention anyone's who's heard of Piaget, a famous child psychiatrist who studied and wrote on child development) on the writing staff, for it's well-known that animals DO have a period where they break away from their parents and engage in deliquent behavior as "teens" (at least as much as ANY animal CAN be anthromorphized by being called "deliquents"). First example that comes to mind is crows: PBS had a show which outlined that behavior, called "A Murder of Crows". Same thing can be said for apes, chimps, etc where the male bachelors associate in groups as they separate from their parents.

I remember when my uneducated (home-schooled) nephew tried to tell me that humans were born with a built-in sense of right and wrong, saying how even a baby recognizes right from wrong, eg when it's pacifier is taken away, it starts to cry. Uh, yeah.... THAT'S why the baby cries: it's aware that it's basic human rights had been violated. Of course, they use that same rationale of inner sense of right from wrong to justify SPANKING infants, when the infant is far too young to understand WHY their parent is inflicting pain on them...

Anyone foolish enough to take child-rearing advice from JW literature reaps what they sow in the form of equally dysfunctional offspring. They'd be better off reading Reader's Digest.

• frankiespeakin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit