BEAT that Child!

by Farkel 49 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think this bears repeating:

*** w63 8/15 497 Each One Will Render an Account ***
    7 If parents are to render a good account to God for the way they bring up their children, they must apply Jehovah’s discipline in love but with firmness. This calls for a positive discipline, not a lazy kind in which parents bribe their children into good behavior. Firm discipline means that there will be no parental pussyfooting. The child needs to know what his parents stand for and that they cannot be shaken from Jehovah’s principles by any amount of arguing, wheedling or crying. Though firm, Jehovah’s discipline is applied in love, so that it is consistent, reasonable and righteous.......

8 All children of Adam need correction, and at times firm discipline requires the rod, in the administration of pain. “Foolishness is tied up with the heart of a boy; the rod of discipline is what will remove it far from him.” (Prov. 22:15) Jehovah’s discipline is thus not a watered-down discipline such as that advised by some worldly authorities who would always hold back the rod. But the literal rod is what is basically meant at Proverbs 23:13, 14: “Do not hold back discipline from the mere boy. In case you beat him with the rod, he will not die. With the rod you yourself should beat him, that you may deliver his very soul from Sheol itself.” At times, then, a parent will need to speak to the child by the administration of pain. This pain, God’s Word assures us, is not going to kill the child; but it will have beneficial effects, protective benefits for the child, protecting “his very soul from Sheol.”****

So parents are to use a rod and literally beat their children and while they are beating them they are not to worry about them dying from the beating because they most likely will recover. Well that is the kind of advice that fits with the violent nature of Jehovah who kills people for picking up sticks on a sabbath day of mandatory rest.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Good Lord, I remember many many times getting yanked down the isle in front of everyone and getting the holy hell spanked out of me. Just for being a kid, christ almighty is there anything more boring to a kid than a witness meeting????

Ya my folks were big on beating me, funny they never did that to my younger brother though. I think they felt bad about what they did to me.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57487619-10391704/parents-publicly-spank-their-kids-in-surprising-numbers-researchers/

(CBS News) Nearly one in four parents or caregivers randomly observed by researchers publicly settled disputes with their child by hitting, spanking or some sort of physical contact, a new study shows.

Researchers at Michigan State University in East Lansing covertly camped out at public areas to get a realistic idea of how children are disciplined outside of a laboratory setting.

Sad dads spank more, study says
    Kids who were spanked may face mental health risks
    Psychological abuse as harmful as physical for kids

Led by Dr. Kathy Stansbury, an associate professor of human development and family studies at Michigan State, researchers anonymously observed 106 instances of discipline in a public place between a caregiver and a young child who was between the ages 3 and 5 years old.

After recording everything they saw and analyzing the date, the researchers determined that 23 percent of the youngsters received "negative touch" - including arm pulling, pinching, slapping and spanking - as discipline in public places such as restaurants or parks.

...."I do think that we are shifting as a society and fathers are becoming more involved in the daily mechanics of raising kids, and that's a good thing for the kids and also a good thing for the dads," she said.

And the dads might be onto something - kids disciplined with positive touch were more likely to comply more often and more quickly with less fussing than those punished by negative touch. Even if a child complied after being slapped, they often pouted or sulked afterwards, the researchers observed.

Stansbury said next time a child needs discipline, she recommends a gentle, positive touch because "negative touch didn't work" in her experiment.

A recent study published July2 in Pediatrics found that kids who experience harsh physical punishment like spanking, slapping, hitting, grabbing or shoving as a regular means of discipline were significantly more likely to have a mood, anxiety or personality disorder or abuse drugs as adults.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

When a child is injured during a spanking, criminal charges come into play. Police and Child Protective Services say that parents who choose to spank their children must use good judgment or pay the consequences.

"What we're looking at is if there is an injury or significant threat of injury," said Christy Smith, senior social worker supervisor with Newport News Human Services Child Protective Services unit. "The more instruments that are used, the higher the chance that an injury could result."

Items that pose a high risk for injury during spanking include belts, extension cords and the wand-like piece used to open and close window blinds, Smith said.

"The parent may not realize what kind of force they are using," Smith said.

If Child Protective Services receives a report of an injury, it must respond within 24 hours. If there is a threat of injury, it responds within five days.

Smith said parents should use whatever form of discipline that is not going to hurt the child physically and that will be most effective. Typically what works better with kids is consistent punishment, such as taking away their privileges, she said.

Some parents use spanking in addition to other forms of discipline.

"Spanking is permissible in certain situations. Once you start spanking to the point where you can injure someone, you should stop," said Greg Henderson, a Newport News resident. "I'm from the old school. Spanking taught me a lot of lessons. If I did something wrong, I didn't think of doing it again."

http://articles.dailypress.com/2010-05-27/news/dp-nws-spanking-20100527_1_child-abuse-child-protective-services-belt

• recovering
    recovering

Thanks to the advice these fools gve i had to undergo counceling due to the abuse i received.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Recovering I'm sorry to hear that. I never got therapy but I vividly remember being beaten at the Kingdom Hall outside in front of freeway traffic and then later in the bathroom. I would be beaten so severely on my bare ass that I would not be able to take a breath or scream out. I remember waking up in a puddle of piss after having passed out with several brothers and sisters standing above me. As I got older I would get the belt, the spoon with holes, a switch off the tree in the front yard, a 2 x 4, a bat, and my guitar over my head.

I have three children and I have never given them any physical corporal punishment. They are all great kids.

It saddens me to think my mom felt I was ever deserving of that type of abuse. I would talk to her about it but she is dead.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I remember some of the old-schoolers lamenting that fact that spanking had become taboo/illegal/politically incorrect (it was never exactly clear), and (IMO, mistakenly) blaming Benjamin Spock for it.

By the time I reached my 20s I was fed up with hearing it; finally, when a sour old biddy in my BSG went into an "in-my-day-we-gave-a-good-paddling" rant, I saw red, and in front of everyone said to her, "Wow, you must have really enjoyed beating your kids..."

Dead silence, and utter shock on everyone's face...

When she started to bluster, I continued, "...'cause you sure sound awfully nostalgic about it."

Bitch shut her wrinked trap tight (utterly priceless moment), and I never heard anyone talk about the good ol' spankin' days in my congo again.

Didn't get in trouble for what I said, either.

• recovering
    recovering

I used to hate going to the beach or to gym class (you had to change into gym close and you could see the welts and bruises) Yep parents thought that god wanted them to beat me with a razor strap.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

BTW, anyone remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Laree_Slack

I remember a 90s WT article that seemed to ease up a bit on the whole corporal punishment thing, likening the "rod" of discipline more to a shepherd's staff (supposedly used to gently guide and direct, as opposed to physical violence).

Can't help but wonder of the Laree Slack incident facilitated that softened stance...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Vid,

Thanks for the link I'm posting some of it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Laree_Slack

Laree A. Slack (July 4, 1989 – November 11, 2001) was the victim of child abuse that led to her death. She was whipped with "an inch-thick section of rubberized electrical cable filled with strands of wire" [ 1 ] repeatedly [ 2 ] and died from internal bleeding several hours later.

Her father, Larry Slack Sr., was convicted of first-degree murder in 2006 as a result of the beating. [ 3 ] He received a life sentence for the murder and a 30-year sentence for aggravated battery of a child. [ 4 ] The mother, Constance Slack, received a 25-year sentence after pleading guilty to murder. [ 5 ] The beatings of Laree and her eight-year-old brother started because of a claimed failure to properly clear away laundry, leading to difficulty finding a credit card. The father's interpretation of Biblical injunctions regarding the punishment of children were a factor in the severity of the beating. The parents were devout Jehovah's Witnesses who home-schooled their six children. Investigators said the parents decided to administer Biblical discipline in the form of "40 lashes minus one, three times". [ 1 ]

The crime was used as an illustration in the 2005 edition of the textbook Delinquency in society that an "intact two parent family" with strong religious values is not so important as having a "loving family" in preventing violence toward children. [ 6 ]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit