DO JWS BELIEVE DINOSAURS WEERE KILLED BY ASTEROID IMPACT?

by badboy 35 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

ANY IDEAS?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Evening Badboy ... you know, I haven't a clue what the current belief is. I did hear that 'dinosaur bones' were 'planted' on Earth to test Christians' Faith.

When I was a kid, I DO remember that the WT 'disproved' Carbon dating ... lots of talk about that!

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

The existence of dinosaur bones (and other fossils) are a nuisance to them. I don't think they've commented directly on the dino's demise, but I think most JWs privately believe they died in the flood. 'Cause there's all that evidence, what with the one, worldwide, homogeneous, ~4000 y.o. flood layer in the strata where all the fossils are found, y'know. Ehem.

The Watchtower has the luxury of pushing difficulties into the future when everything will be revealed 'in due time' though, so we shouldn't worry our puny brains about it.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Rather curiously, the 1961 edition of the New World Translation (with the distintive bright green cover), had end leaf maps bound into the front and back of the Bible. The one in the front was of the Middle East / Mediterranean area and it had little artist's renditions of some of the events associated with places on the map (e.g., I think there was smoke and Moses on Mt. Sinai). There were a few dinosaurs randomly place throughout the map, from which one could draw the reasonable inference that humans and dinos co-existed at some point in time.

However, as far as I know (and I really searched when I was a Dub), they have never definitively stated whether or not humans and dinosaurs co-existed. I do remember reading something to the effect that the dinosaurs may have become extinct by the time Adam and Eve were created, but that they were unsure and the dinos could have died in the flood.

In any event, the Dubs are dogged by the same problems as the young earth creationists with respect to the geologic evidence that life has been here on Earth for a very, very long time.

One of the key pieces of evidence for an asteroid impact causing the dino die-off is the iridium layer that is coincident with the stratigraphic (time / sediment) layer in which the dinos disappeared. Radiometric dating of the stratigraphic layers runs headlong into Dub dogma about the age of life on earth and other pesky scientific observations that seem to get in the way of a good fairy tale.

This is one of those issues that they gloss over rather irresponsibly in the Creation Book and other publications.

Don't know if that helps but hope it sheds a little light on things.

Cheers,

Alex

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Watchtower says we shouldn't waste our time speculating on these matters.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Is it good or bad to believe dinosaurs were killed by an asteroid impact?

I want to know before I look stupid for my opinion.

JW's don't care why the dinosaurs were extinct. The best I have heard
    is that Jehovah created the planet with tons of vegetation and oxygen.
    The dinosaurs ate the overgrowth of vegetation at a rate that allowed
    the atmosphere to come to a better balance. (oversimplification, but
    that's what JW's do) Some dinos ate the meat of other dinos to get
    rid of it. When they served their purpose, they died off, or maybe
    Jah sent an asteroid to wipe them out.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

This is not an organization that spends a lot of time on issues like this. They don't think about the things they don't think about.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The Witchtower has not OFFICIALLY recanted the teachings of the 7 000 year creative "days"

The Asteroid has been shown to have struck MILLIONS of years ago. The position of the WTBTS is that the creativve days are 7 000 years long.We are yet to await Christs Millennial Reign, which will end in the 50 000 th year since God started preparing the earth for man. ( see "Life Everlasting in he Freedom of the Sons of God" 1963)

According to "From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained" the earth was still a ball of liquid molten rock 50 - odd thousand years ago.

They will claim everbody else is wrong of course.

So NO.

According to WT teachings there were no ICE AGES, as they claim the fossil record proves the earth had a uniformly tropical climate, due to the "water canopy". (of course they ignore the science showing air pressure of 10 000 lbs per square inch, and temperatures of 900 deg)

HB

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Is it my imagination or didn’t they do a video with an artwork suggestion of something wiping out the dinosaurs……??

I might be very wrong though….

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Here's the inside cover of the old green NWT. Good call, Alpaca.

Hope this works:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit