Expect big things to happen tomorrow

by startingover 40 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

“Does it not occur to you that by purging all sacred images, references, and words from our public life, you are leaving us with nothing but a cold temple presided over by the Goddess of Reason — that counterfeit deity who, as history has proved time and time and time again, inspires no affection, retains no loyalties, soothes no grief, justifies no sacrifice, gives no comfort, extends no charity, displays no pity, and offers no hope, except to the tiny cliques of fanatical ideologues who tend her cold blue flame?”

I love that quote right now. And I love being the fly in the ointment.

BTS

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm glad you still post here, startingover. :)

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Are you implying that humanity is only capable of good deeds by fooling ourselves into thinking there is deity and rewards forthcoming.

I don't think that beleiving in something that isn't true, is a good foundation to work from, if we are to enter an age of enlightenment. Just as much evil can perpetrated in the name of religion and justified.

The idea that humanity changes its ways, because of God, is a misconception. Just as we saw in the witnesses with the cruelty of shunning, Just as we see in the Catholic church sex scandals. Human beings don't change, they only hide behind an image and fool themselves into thinking they are in the favour of the almighty.

Knowledge and education is the key to our salvation. Part of that education is understanding that we are the other person and must work towards the unified goal of eliminating human suffering in a very real rather than abstact way.

We have suceeded with our own hand, in breaking down the entire human Genome. We are living in times of technological marvels. It is our own intelligence that brought us to this point.

God didn't set up the human Genome project, or put man on the moon. We did! God doesn't fight against evil. We do.

Perhaps evil and crime of the future will be looked upon as a genetic weakness in which case, cures will be available.

Einstein said that anything we can imagine is possible. There is so room for wishful thinking here.

The concept of goodwill must become a reality not because we are motivated by God, but because it makes sense for out own good and survival on a Global planet. It is common sense.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Prayer always works... when you pray for something nebulous and untestable.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Wooooaaaaahh oooh we're living on prayer! Take my hand and we'll make it I swear.

I'll dig out that Bon Jovi CD in honor of tomorrow.

If everyone prays for everyone to pray then everyone's prayers will be answered. Huzzah!

• parakeet
    parakeet

Attention, everyone! Not only is tomorrow National Prayer Day (first I ever heard of it), but it's also Beltane (May Day), a day of pagan merry-making with maypoles and other celebrations that honor the natural forces that cause our crops to grow and cattle to fatten. It's a lot more fun and has more relevance than talking to a imaginary celestial dad. Blessed Be!

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

May day? Friggen commies! I'll pray for God to kill all the commies. That'll teach those commies all a lesson.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    “Does it not occur to you that by purging all sacred images, references, and words from our public life, you are leaving us with nothing but a cold temple presided over by the Goddess of Reason

So are you saying that religious people are un-Reason-able?

— that counterfeit deity who, as history has proved time and time and time again, inspires no affection, retains no loyalties, soothes no grief, justifies no sacrifice, gives no comfort, extends no charity, displays no pity, and offers no hope, except to the tiny cliques of fanatical ideologues who tend her cold blue flame?”

Once could say the same for all the "real" deities throughout history.

• startingover
    startingover

In honor of National Prayer Day, I give you Mr. Deity:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UaZDcS-rMf4

Lonelysheep,

I'm always here, I just don't always post. Thanks for noticing, I really thought I was invisible.

Gopher,

Thanks for the link

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

touche Cog, touche

The Oracle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit