Women Telling the Good News are a Large Army - Comparing Bible Translations

by ataloa 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ataloa
    ataloa

Years ago when studying for meetings, I used several different translations so I could make a comparison. I could never find anything to support that one verse. Does anyone have any information on how they arrived at that?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, they didn't use the Bible. (What else is new.) They came to that conclusion when they saw that most women in their time were sitting at home watching soaps, and they could easily be scammed into going into the cancer and wasting their time in field circus. Likewise, most of the "sisters" have time to watch soaps, and could be guilted into pioneering easier than "brothers" with full time jobs.

With all the respect they give women, they don't even deserve to have them out in field circus at all.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom
    Does anyone have any information on how they arrived at that?

Psalm 68:11 in the NWT

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

• snowbird
    snowbird

It's a ploy to guilt women (who do most of the preaching work) into doing more.

Psalm 68:11 >>

New American Standard Bible(©1995)
    The Lord gives the command; The women who proclaim the good tidings are a great host:

King James Bible
    The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it.

American King James Version

American Standard Version
    The Lord giveth the word: The women that publish the tidings are a great host.

Bible in Basic English
    The Lord gives the word; great is the number of the women who make it public.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    The Lord shall give the word to them that preach good tidings with great power.

Darby Bible Translation
    The Lord gives the word: great the host of the publishers.

English Revised Version
    The Lord giveth the word: the women that publish the tidings are a great host.

GOD'S WORD® Translation(©1995)
    The Lord gives instructions. The women who announce the good news are a large army.

Jewish Publication Society Tanakh
    The Lord giveth the word; the women that proclaim the tidings are a great host.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
    The Lord announced the word. The ones who proclaim it are a great company.

Young's Literal Translation
    The Lord doth give the saying, The female proclaimers are a numerous host.

Exodus 15:20 Miriam the prophetess, Aaron's sister, took the timbrel in her hand, and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dancing.

1 Samuel 18:6 It happened as they were coming, when David returned from killing the Philistine, that the women came out of all the cities of Israel, singing and dancing, to meet King Saul, with tambourines, with joy and with musical instruments. (NASB ©1995)

Everything (including Bible "translations") coming from the WT has an agenda.

Sylvia

• carla
    carla

Why are jw women good enough to go door to door and 'teach' but not good enough to teach at a kh?

• Aleman
    Aleman

They do teach at the KH. They have their parts to do as women. Besides, it is written that single women are very important to God. It is also part of the theocratic government to have Jehovah as head of all he has created, Jesus who gave his life is next in line, and then man then woman.

-Aleman

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Ah yes, the token #3 talk/field service skit but only with another woman or child and not every bit as alone as they sometimes are when they are out in service. Funny how they aren't allowed to handle microphones or magazines, but they're allowed to clean the bathrooms and vacuum. hahaha. gotta love an hierarchy of invisible men to reinforce the bogus class systems of the visible. my invisible friends have made it clear to me little lady that you are to get the shit end of every job stick, but don't worry, they love you and you are valuable.

• ataloa
    ataloa

Thanks, everyone. Snowbird, I am really surprised to see the word "women" in several of those translations. Back when my ex mate was studying, we started getting the feeling that it was unsupported in other translations. That was before our internet days. I have hardly been able to pick up a bible these past few years, but maybe that will change.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I always hated that saying. Not all women are large.

momz

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

There's no big problem in translation (if one follows the MT; the LXX reads a masculine and construes the sentence differently, "Lord gives a word to the bearers/recipients-of-good-news with much power"). But there is with the context (celebration of Israelite military victories)!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit