do you still believe god's name is "Jehovah"?

by winnower 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I am ajehovahist.

• Switch
    Switch

I've never understood the explanation behind the Hebrew language. Maybe somebody here could educate me. It wasn't just names that didn't have vowels written down - it was the whole text, correct? If the language had fallen into disuse, then how did they go back and know what vowels to put in. For example (in English, of course)

Jss tk lk

Is that saying

• Jesus took a leak
    • Jesus took a look
    • Jesus take a lake

How did they figure out what any of it meant? Not just the pronounciation, but even the meanings of the sentences.

• reniaa
    reniaa

erm last time i looked the tetragramation is Gods name, superstition stopped jews prenouncing it but its still there in all the oldest writings

So are we really arguing here the viability of a latinised form of it? using jehovah, like the latinised jesus which is better pronounced as "Jeshua"

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    How did they figure out what any of it meant? Not just the pronounciation, but even the meanings of the sentences.

thnk y wld gt sd t t prtty fst, f y lk t hbrw wrds nd nms y'll ntc tht thy r mch lngr thn nglsh wrds nd nms, s thr s lss chnc f cnfsn.

The worst part is that there are no spaces between words, or punctuation.

so make that:

thnkywldgtsdttprttyfstfylkthbrwwrdsndnmsyllntcthtthyrmchlngrthnnglshwrdsndnmssthrslsschncfcnfsn

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Is that true? No spaces or punctuation? How the heck can you translate that?

• xjwms
    xjwms

In front of my wife I do.

Other than that ... not sure.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Is that true? No spaces or punctuation? How the heck can you translate that?

now that you ask, I retract that... I did some checking and I realized that I confused Hebrew with Greek.

Greek had no spaces, Hebrew had no vowels.

• Balsam
    Balsam

No I don't.

• mind my own
    mind my own

NO I don't!

MMO

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's not the important issue, the real issue is that the JWs replaced jehovah for Jesus who is the really central person in christianity. Jehovah refers one straight back to the pre christian judaic set up where believers were slaves of a lord rather than children of a father.

The JWs are constantly projecting that image the Jews had of worshipper versus lord not worshipper versus father (or slave with lord not inheritor with father).

Otherwise lol, who cares what the name of the jewish old testament god really was? The saviour is Jesus not jehovah/yahveh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit