The reason for the change, my opinion.

by joebin 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joebin
    joebin

I think the decision was made because elders were starting to really feel the pinch and maybe many were considering giving their resignation due to the heavy workload involved. With the new arrangement, not only do they have one less meeting to get ready for a week but also less preparation for the remaining ones. I don't think the org can afford to lose too many elders.

I'm happy for all of them that somehow they finally got a little slack.

• fresia
    fresia

I really think that is the main reason. Good post.

• undercover
    undercover

I think it's because they have less qualified men reaching to be elders thus less qualified book study conductors.

I think it's also to better control what is happening at the book studies.

If unqualified brothers are conducting a good many of the studies, it's too easy for them to lose control on the material being covered and to keep people from interjecting personal viewpoints. The Society can't have free-thinkers spewing their own thoughts. So pull the meeting back to the hall, make sure a qualified elder is conducting and follow the Society's guidelines for studying repeating the mantra of the book they're using.

• changeling
    changeling

That's probably at least part of the real reason. Things are deteriorating from within and they are trying to salvage what they have.

changeling :)

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

All valid reasons in my opinion.

It goes along with what many of us have been saying for some time now - they are making moves to turn the JW movement in to more of a mainstream religion so that it can survive the open and relentless scrutiny from a world that has unlocked the flow of information to the masses by means of the internet.

They are attempting to do the same with archaic and damaging policies regarding disfellowshipping and blood transfusions. Softening harsh stances where they can, and making it a little easier for everyone to stay aligned with them. No more DFing announcements....allowance of fractions...etc etc. These are all steps in a series of moves to move further and further away from the dogmatic ways of the past.

Two meetings a week will be very tolerable for many. Less numbers of new ones will be immediately turned off, after all its only one more meeting than your average church goer, so it really doesn't seem that excessive. However....

It's too little - too late. The jig is up. The party is over. Don't trip over one another on your way out...

The Oracle

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy
    after all its only one more meeting than your average church goer

I was actually amazed when I moved to Tennessee. Some churches have Sunday AM, then lunch, then an evening session. All are expected to attend. Most of the churches here have church on Wednesday, affectionately called "church night". So down here they are right up there with church.

momz

• sir82
    sir82
    They are attempting to do the same with archaic and damaging policies regarding disfellowshipping

They are ?!?

Doesn't seem to have softened at all, IMHO. Saying someone is "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" rather than "disfellowshipped" is nothing more than a cynical attempt to limit their slander liability, a change 100% wrought by the "real" governing body, the legal department.

Shunning is still applied with full vigor to all, family members or no.

• grassyknoll07
    grassyknoll07

I spoke to a CO friend. He hinted that elder workload was a strong reason for the change. The FDS is aware the load is becoming heavy, especially for elders and their families. The FDS is very concerned about the number of elders loosing privileges for not presiding their households in a fine manner. Everyone should use the extra time to strengthen their families spiritually. Elders will receive further instructions, but it will be stressed to elders that shepherding should begin at home. He hinted that more changes will be coming. I asked him if the pioneer hours would be reduced... he smiled and told me to wait and see. He also mentioned the BS change was only the beginning, he stressed that Jehovah’s organization is progressive but we don't make a lot of changes at once. He said that changes will take a couple of years, and that a brother who has been inactive for several years will not recognize the organization if he is to return in a couple of years.

• sonnycrockett
    sonnycrockett

Whatever happened to all those comments in the past that the book study is a smaller group and we will and it prepares us for when we probably have to meet in smaller groups once the Great Tribulation breaks out. We I guess we can scrap that idea!!!!!!!!

• sspo
    sspo

It goes along with what many of us have been saying for some time now - they are making moves to turn the JW movement in to more of a mainstream religion so that it can survive the open and relentless scrutiny from a world that has unlocked the flow of information to the masses by means of the internet.

They are attempting to do the same with archaic and damaging policies regarding disfellowshipping and blood transfusions. Softening harsh stances where they can, and making it a little easier for everyone to stay aligned with them. No more DFing announcements....allowance of fractions...etc etc. These are all steps in a series of moves to move further and further away from the dogmatic ways of the past.

Two meetings a week will be very tolerable for many. Less numbers of new ones will be immediately turned off, after all its only one more meeting than your average church goer, so it really doesn't seem that excessive. However....

It's too little - too late. The jig is up. The party is over. Don't trip over one another on your way out...

The Oracle

100%

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit