Elderly parents and the Book Study

by tinker 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Hey - the congregations could use the extra time to organize visitations to the nursing homes, helping the needy, and the sick. Oh that's right, we wouldn't want to do that...we don't want to imitate the churches, do we?

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I was just thinking about how this would affect the elderly in the congo I served in as an elder (the one I went to before my "fadeout" congo)...

I received a phone call from an elderly sister that I used to visit alot. She wanted me to call her. She is "worried" about me...apparently she has finally had the "bad news" about Brother {Snakes} not going to meetings anymore. I can't call her back..it breaks my heart...I cannot lie to her...and I cannot stand the thought of her crying when she confirms from my own mouth that I am not going to meetings anymore.... she will get mad first, then sad...then probably grab my ear or something... LOL

anyway...serious digression.... this sister and so many elderly sisters like her..the Tuesday morning Book Study was there only real social activity....some would go out in field circus on their magazine routes afterward. I suspect that they will still do that on Tuesday morning.... then they would go for an early lunch...really, that day was the peak of their social calendar each week.

Many of those elderly, including the aforementioned sister, do not drive, and do not get out at night....I think in her case, the Thur meeting is already too late for her..I think she is in bed by dark... or at least by 6 or 7 in the winter... How inconsiderate that the elderly, those who work shift work, etc, will no longer have that morning/daytime/weekend option for at least one meeting...

..but who ever said that the Fatass Disgusting Slave was "considerate"?

Snakes ()

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The elderly are seen as "used up" by the WTS. Their income is set and they don't
    contribute much nor sell many books and mags. The WTS could not care less for
    them and their problems. In fact, if they skip meetings, all the better to WTS.
    They keep saying old light in their confusing comments. Why don't the members
    study enough and keep up with the chariot? (Their thoughts, not mine.)

I say the elderly will have a hard lesson in discovering that the organization doesn't
    care, but will simply watch more television on a former meeting night. They will see
    the "friends" one less time each week.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I agree it'll hit the elderly/widowed the hardest.

Thinking ahead - what are the odds on a KM Question Box appearing 18 months or 2 years from now:

"Is it necessary for individuals or families to meet together as a group to do their Bible Study?

Since the dissolution of the Book Study group in January 2009, some have felt the need to fill the void by meeting together in private homes to do their personal Bible study or preparation for the meetings. Well there is no need. That's why the 'faithful slave' saw fit to get rid of the arrangement in the first place. (Matthew 24:45-47) There is also the danger of independent thinking which could lead to apostasy. So quit it!"

Think that could happen?

• boyzone
    boyzone

Hi Ann

Since the dissolution of the Book Study group in January 2009, some have felt the need to fill the void by meeting together in private homes to do their personal Bible study or preparation for the meetings. Well there is no need. That's why the 'faithful slave' saw fit to get rid of the arrangement in the first place. (Matthew 24:45-47) There is also the danger of independent thinking which could lead to apostasy. So quit it!"

Think that could happen?

Yes. Maybe not straight away but if brothers start studying too deeply, it'll get stopped.

My parents are elderly and they love the group. Its held during the day so they can avoid going out in the cold one evening a week. They also have social gatherings once a month with regular theatre trips, all just for their group. They'll really gonna miss it so much as it meant the world to them. I feel really sad for them.

• startingover
    startingover

My dad's whole life revolved around his responsiblities in the congregation. He was almost always in the "top" spot in the arrangement. In his later years he slowly had to give up the responsibilities he loved so much. But he conducted the daytime book study with all the old people up until he died. If that was taken away from him he would have had nothing and would have just sat in his easychair all day pondering what he once was.

I'm glad he didn't have to see it happen.

• JCanon
    JCanon

You make a good point about this. Individual attention is more effective at the Book Study group level. As a witness, you felt a part of the congregation as a whole and the organization, but also had a BS group identity as well. That identity and intimacy will be gone. There will certainly be less chance at spontaneous social interaction. Getting to know people at the Hall is more difficult and generally people will fall into their own natural cliques and some will be left behind and isolated.

I have two elderly parents also, but they are ailing. Lots of elderly ones in the local congregation here. But some of the elderly already cannot travel to the meetings so listen to the meetings over the speaker phone from home. Your mother is fortunate to be in good health and so aged. I hope she stays well. All my best wishes. Thanks for sharing the "social impact" aspect of this change. I think many will lose out on getting to be closer to some of the individual members now. Maybe that was part of it. The members are more like another number than an individual now.

JC

• Aleman
    Aleman

You guys don't have these things? Wow! Our congragation has a small area where the elderly live and get taken care of. It's not that big but the elderly enjoy it.

-Aleman

• Layla33
    Layla33

I totally understand this topic, my grandparents entire existence revolves around this KH. My grandmother now a widow has only the KH activities, the few other sisters that look in on her, as her entire life. Her children and grandchildren try to visit her, but honestly, her entire interaction and social activity is the JW. When my grandfather passed, one sister with no husband moved in with her. The thing is my grandmother is getting to frail and her health is getting bad, I suggested she join a senior center and move into a very nice nursing home - of course my family won't even discuss it.

Which lead me to the question of, if the JW have so many religious doctrines that set them apart from "the world", why not have senior centers and retirement homes strictly for them, like the Catholics and Jewish religions?

• Aleman
    Aleman

I suppose it has to do with the financial situation of each congragation. Our congragation there are people who in their own time they put money and time for the elderly.

-Aleman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit