Elderly parents and the Book Study

by tinker 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tinker
    tinker

Do any of you have elderly JW parents? My mom is 89, good health and Very Active JW. Her world is the local congergation and 5meeting per week.She has her Sunday outfits, Tues, school dress, and Thurs afternoon more casual styles. She gets a little attention at these meetings and has her social contacts. A few sisters keep their eye on her and she gets a little attention from the conductor.

Also MIL and FIL, elderly and he conducts an afternoon BS. This meeting schedule keeps them busy and active.....imo, not in a good way but still at least it gives them something to look forward to. They all go to early dinner on Thurs after the study.

My question is: How will the elderly adjust to this, No BS arrangement? The WTBS has no social programs for the elderly, no clubs, no health plan, no housing, NOTHING, ZIP, NADA and now they take away a chuck of what kept them active. They will have an empty hole in the week. I see depression and general health slipping downhill fast.

The congergations are made up of all ages yet everybody is supposed to be on the exact same page. There is no concern for individual needs and abilities. I just makes me sick!

• Dagney
    Dagney

(yeah yeah I know...really bad. But did you SEE the ban on BARBIE!!!!)

• tinker
    tinker

WTF......are you talking about? Something about Barbie....no way......they wouldn't go that far, or....would they? I know the No Troll Doll rule because of the Demo connection. But Barbie is just the adverage slutty girl next door, What's the Harm?

• yknot
    yknot

I was just talking about this today with an Elder.......

He assumed local KHs will encourage the Bro/Sis to give rides.......

I laughed and said why not have the PO do it seeing how he is the top shepherd in the KH ((the Elder agreed with a snicker)).

A MS eaves dropping suggested the good ole telephone hookup.

Personally I doubt there will rides as this makes an arguement for the WTS being liable in case of accident.

Tink here is the Barbie thead...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/157245/1.ashx

IMHO....not enough Elderly are donating their estates anymore (or non-JW relatives are contesting and winning) so out with the old in with the new......just like Bethel staffing.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

notes: check out the clickable from yknot it is the mp3 version.

You really need to hear this mp3 version.(less than 10 minutes) 1997 1.8 billion u.s. dollars in sales, there is renewed interest in old dolls,

collecting them, they are tying dolls to past traditions, emotional bond formed between children and dolls, the speaker mentioned 'supplementary info" a few times

while reading the article, giving wholesome daily instruction against the harmful influence of dolls. (Barbies) (the end)

Near the end was a little conversation mother daughter,

No little kid is going to respond with those words, she was so rehearsed with that, and

mom asking those type of teaching questions. They are really over the edge here.

hope4others

• Casper
    Casper

I totally agree with what you are saying Tinker. I don't have any family in, but I am sure it will be a big adjustment for some.

The congergations are made up of all ages yet everybody is supposed to be on the exact same page. There is no concern for individual needs and abilities. I just makes me sick!

Children, Elderly... all are to be on the same page with the rest... it makes no sense.

Cas

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Sorry how did this change to barbie?

Yes, I agree tinker, parents that become elderly are soon forgotten, they are treated as a bother. My mom says she does not have as many friends anymore, some have

passed, some have moved closer to their familys. Its all about the newer generation, that's who will be doing the work. That is there target market, older ones have

out lived their usefulness. How very sad.

Cheers,

I'm sorry for getting off topic with the first response,

hope4others

• blondie
    blondie

Giving rides is not a legal problem if the driver has adequate insurance. We all give rides to family and friends and that is factored in. But many older jws cannot go to evening meetings to start with and unless the congregation has a day-time one (and many don't), they have just missed the meeting or had a tape dropped off. Many congregations have elaborate and convenient phone hookups and I can see some using that. Some cannot drive at night and need rides. You are right in saying that it is hard to find someone with the space who lives nearby who is willing to pick them up. The needs of older jws have been ignored for years, this will just be another step in that direction.

• chickpea
    chickpea

one elderly and recently widowed JW was on my mind last night, knowing that her whole life is synchronized with the grinding of the cogs that animate the b0rg

i cannot help but be saddened for her, as i believe this will be a loss for her.... a sentence to add to her calender another day spent alone every week......

i certainly hope that 'the afternoon' bookstudy collective finds something to substitute for those who have only the "friends" to mark their existence

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

My father is elderly & very lonely. The JDubs were his only life. He pioneers to have something to do. Losing a meeting will be one less thing for him to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit