Focus of New Elder's School: How To Research - WTS Literature Only!!

by Seeker4 17 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What a wasted week. I already know how to research using the search feature of the WT Library.
    Any computer geek or ordinary person can figure it out if they actually use it.
    So what we are talking about is shaming the elders into using it.

I know my wife and mother don't really use it well, and they are both fully computer literate.
    I remember elders calling me on the phone saying they found nothing about a certain subject
    on the WT Library. I would find it while they were still framing their question about what they
    were searching for. They would finish their sentence and I was already saying, "It's at
    WT1998, May 15, page 13."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is a big waste of time and money. What in hell benefit is there in having a "school" (notice that there is no way I can call a weeklong lesson a "school") solely to teach people to research using a particular source? Just give them the damn source and basic instruction on how to navigate the damn material, and then you will accomplish pretty much the same thing without wasting all that time.

• Balsam
    Balsam

In 1998-2001 I was doing a lot of research on just about everything we studied and using outside scholarly biblical material and WTS material too. Well the Elders visited us one day wanting to know how I was doing and I was explaining about how much I enjoyed the added research. Well they got a really concerned look on their faces and wanted to know what I was using to do my research. So I told them, Strongs Conconcordance, Biblical dictionary, Biblical History book, et. Well they chilled a little and said to beware of the information in worldly publications that it wasn't always accurate. I thought that was rather strange since the Society was always quoting outside sources so I said so to them. They sort of tripped all over their tongues and finally admitted that they we're concerned I'd get into apostate material and have my faith polluted. Well that only peaked my interest more, so I asked what do you mean apostate literature and that I'd never seen any apostate literature, unless I didn't understand what apostate literature was? Well by then they looked like they were sitting on pins and needles and gave a quick answer and left. They told me to beware of researching on the internet it was full of apostates spouting lies against the organization. I said oh really, I've never run across anything like that and asked them if they had. They said nothing but "just becareful", well that was too criptic that it only made me more curious and I started reading stuff online. Sadly I didn't understand 99% of what was said and it made no sense to me for months as I tried to understand the history of the organizations development. I finally gave up reading online and didn't think anymore about it until my son died in March 2001, then I started again researching online. By May of 2001 I left the JW mind control.

• joebin
    joebin

Wasn't this school supposed to be about post armageddon stuff.

It took them a week to teach elders how to type keywords in an input box, wow.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Great story, Balsam. You and I are around the same age, so probably share many of these sort of experiences.

I was a serious student when I was a JW, but typically, the average Witness is woefully ignorant of the history of the organization and the development of JW theology. Right now, if you asked Joe Publisher if Jesus is their mediator, most would say yes. Hardly any of them really understand Witness teachings and history in any depth.

When you do, like what happened with you, the WT facade begins to crumble.

S4

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

When I was a young girl, my mom had the full collection of most of the 20th century of WT material. Did I ever admit that I was an avid reader? I read a lot of that crap and thought it was kinda weird. I actually thought it was a different, similar religion for a while. Found out it was my Aunt D's collection(she went awol for a few years, then came back, took the books was in a few years and REALLY went awol after that) In any case, reading old WT literature, without even being told what to 'look for' by an apostate is probably a great tool for any JW to learn to be a little more discriminating about accepting everything the WT says as being material "channeled by Jehovah". That stuff is nuts. Let them study all the WT literature and nothing with any common sense. It will drive them away from the org. sooner or later. I left when I was 15, so I personally recommend it highly!

• besty
    besty
    "However, we know that when human teachings contradict what God has revealed, it is ALWAYS the human teachings that are wrong. (Read Romans 3:4)"

But how do we know what God has revealed?

Not to worry - here's the answer......Watchtower 2001 August 1 - How to Make Your Advancement Manifest

First, since "oneness" is to be observed, a mature Christian must be in unity and full harmony with fellow believers as far as faith and knowledge are concerned. He does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbor private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding. Rather, he has complete confidence in the truth as it is revealed by Jehovah God through his Son, Jesus Christ, and "the faithful and discreet slave."

'Revealed' is another WTS loaded term meaning 'what we teach'.

So you could re-read the above quote as follows:

"However, we know that when your human teachings contradict our human teachings, it is ALWAYS your human teachings that are wrong. (Read Romans 3:4)"

This is not, repeat NOT, mind control.

• mary stewart
    mary stewart

JWdaugher, my reading the bible got me out when i saw how different things were. i even read different translations. most translations of john 1:1 say jesus is god! the experts agree! jesus IS god, if there even IS a god, that is. ehe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit