The generation change- why now?

by JimmyPage 11 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I understand why the change in understanding of a generation was made in '95. It was because the time was basically up for the generation of 1914. But why do you think the latest change has been made at this particular time? And how does it tie in to the new light about 1935 that was revealed this past year? Just another plot to extend the last days as long as possible and keep the hamster wheel turning?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think they are trying to do a bunch of things at once.

They are trying to make the doctrine more understandable.
    The 1995 change was complicated to the average member. The 2008
    change is simple. They are trying to remove focus from the anointed
    numbers going up slightly.

They are trying to remind the members that the GB are in contact with
    Jehovah and receiving light. The members need a reason to continue
    listening to these guys. It could be as simple as making the members
    expect constant changes, so when the GB moves to Belize with
    Belizian bank accounts, it won't be a big deal. It will be a "protection"
    to the funds that are needed for the worldwide work.

The main thing is that this is a "changing doctrine" organization.
    If you print material and you want to "sell" it to your members (and others),
    you put something new into that material.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

bttt

• yknot
    yknot

Jimmy,

The motive behind the change is to avoid another 1935 restraint. If you read CoC, Ray Franz mentions the change had been kicked around for many years prior to his resignation......Yep the "new " was outed by the King of Apostates years before. Makes you wanna ask a true JW believer if they think Ray might be like his uncle after all.

Carey Barber died in Apil 07, born in 1905 he was the last pre-1935 anointed on the Board. Hence the need for 'adjustment' in Mays QFR.

Of course this opens back up the can of worms Rutherford tried to shelve back in 1935. Imagine in the not so distant future when more then 144,000 are partaking.......it is a perfect set-up for further mainstreaming by letting all partake. While still keeping elitism, they could reason that the within the covenant of Israel there was Kings, Priests, and R &F all required to observe traditions.

The information age is draining membership.........the WTS has to evolve or die-out..

......and the money is too good and too easy just to toss it all aside.....better to string it out as long as possible.

Also ....printing (Newspapers, magazines, periodicals etc) are seeing a decline in the digital age.

• sir82
    sir82
    Carey Barber died in Apil 07, born in 1905 he was the last pre-1935 anointed on the Board.

Not quite, Jack Barr is still hangin' on, he was born in 1912 or 1913 I think.

• yknot
    yknot

Barr (born 1913 in Scotland as JW) didn't claim anointment at 22, but later in life. Therefore he technically is a graph, as his anointment came after the sealing of 1935.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

At a time when people are hoping for the end to come real soon (and are about to drop out if it doesn't), they need a change that can allow them to bumble it out longer. And, if there only needs to be anointed alive, and the 1935 cutoff no longer applies, I think it can bumble out forever.

• oompa
    oompa
    YKNOT:

Barr (born 1913 in Scotland as JW) didn't claim anointment at 22, but later in life. Therefore he technically is a graph, as his anointment came after the sealing of 1935.

Geeze yknot, this is kind of spooky...what are you some kind of GB groupie?.................oompa

• oompa
    oompa
    Otwo:

They are trying to make the doctrine more understandable.
    The 1995 change was complicated to the average member. The 2008
    change is simple. They are trying to remove focus from the anointed
    numbers going up slightly.

First, I think JimmyP asks an excellent question here. I do agree with my friend OTWO that most dubs still do not understand the 1995 change well because of the 7 syllable word key to the explanation. However, they already had removed the focus from the anointed number going up with the lid off 1935 change last year. The main part of the "new light" explanation is still the same..."generation has nothing to do with a time period linked in any way to 1914 (as we made that date up)." It matters so little that the "contemporaneous group" is the anointed rather than the wicked that is is laughable as far as "when the hell is armageddon commin already?"

So why did they even bring it up? It seems like if anything it will at least make more dubs scratch their heads and say "what the crap? Not again!"................at least I hope..............................................oompa

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970
    The information age is draining membership.........the WTS has to evolve or die-out..

I think this is the primary motivation behind most of the recent changes. In the 1980s people couldn't verify anything. People were not going to spend days in the local library trying to look up information on subjects, many of which were likely not in the library anyway. Besides that, there was a sense of urgency! The world was ending soon! It has never been as bad as it was then (that's always the logic, as somehow things could not get worse). Years and years went by and nothing happened. Worse than that, the 1990s were the most prosperous years in the history of the United States. Armageddon, what?

Now that diligent researchers can go to google or wikipedia in an instant, they can immediately find information in their own research that will fly in the face of the logic that the WTS has been spreading. But the WTS occasionally comes out and says something about only needing the Society's research materials. As a Witness you are only allowed to agree with secular sources if those sources agree with the WTS. But if they are in disagreement, then the secular source is of the Devil. Even if it is the same source.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit