Finished Mystery predicted WW1 would end in 1917

by jwfacts 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Cabasilas made a comment at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/156586/2869313/post.ashx#2869313 that seems to have been missed, as was new for me.

The first printing of Studies In the Scriptures Series VII - The Finished Mystery was June 1917, in which the end of World War One was predicted for October 1st, 1917. Subsequent printings retrospectively stated the war ended 1918.

p.268
      75,000 edition "Is not yet come.- But is due to make its appearance with the close of the war, some time about October 1st, 1917. (See comments on Rev. 16:17-21; Ex. 10:23.)"
      2,604,000 edition "Is not yet come. - But is due to make its appearance after the close of the war, probably early in the year 1918. (See comments on Rev. 16:17-21; Ex. 10:23.)"
      I have inserted a link that goes through a number of other failed date predictions for those unaware of how extensive this list is.
    • Atlantis
      Atlantis

p.268
      75,000 edition
      "Is not yet come.- But is due to make its appearance with the close of the war, some time about October 1st, 1917. (See comments on Rev. 16:17-21; Ex. 10:23.)" 2,604,000 edition "Is not yet come. - But is due to make its appearance after the close of the war, probably early in the year 1918. (See comments on Rev. 16:17-21; Ex. 10:23.)"

• yknot
      yknot

Thanks!

I haven't finished the 1917 ed yet .....it is a hard read.

We all appreciate your efforts!!!

• jwfacts
      jwfacts

Thank you ynot.

Thank you for the scan Atlantis, I have added it to the article, the scans make a big difference to the credibility.

• MissingLink
      MissingLink

What was the publishing date of the 2nd edition? Was it after 1918?

• cabasilas
      cabasilas

Repost from the other thread to put this all together:

I have to admit that I did not realize there were significant differences between the 1917 edition and the 1918 edition. Then I read a statement made in a speech by Wm. F. Hudgins in 1918 where he gave his reasons for accepting the Finished Mystery:

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/booklets/1919convention/1919convention8.html

There is no more reason why we should reject the Seventh Volume because of some statements there about the ending of the war in October, 1917, which did not come true, than there is that we should throw Volume Two away because we weren't all glorified in October, 1914.

I thought to myself: where did the Finished Mystery predict the end of the war in October of 1917? The reason I did not remember this was because I am more familiar with the 1918 edition. So, in searching the 1917 PDF I came across the statements.

Page 367 of the PDF or page 268 of the book (1917 ed.) states:

But is due to make its appearance with the close of the war, some time about October 1st, 1917.

Pages 350-351 of the PDF or page 256 of the book (1917 ed.) state:

The three days of terrible darkness over the land represent the three years of the great war, and indicate its close shortly after the publication of this final witness to the Church.

The book was released in July of 1917 and was predicting an end to the war in just 3 months after its release!!

The 1918 edition changes these statements. Interestingly, for the second one it changes the 3 days to 3 1/2 days, so the war could stretch until the Spring of 1918!! So, when the "three days" or "three years" went past October 1st, 1917, they changed the text to read 3 1/2 days and stretched the war to 3 1/2 years. So page 256 of the 1918 edition reads:

The 3 1/2 days of terrible darkness over the land represent the 3 1/2 years of the great war, that indicate its close shortly after the publication of this final witness to the Church.

So, instead of admitting they were wrong about the war ending about October 1, 1917, they tweaked with the data and stretched the prediction a few more months!

These passages are hardly recognizable at all in the 1926 edition (though the 1926 edition changes the 3 1/2 days back to 3 but does not connect it with the end of the war.) Page 256 of the 1926 edition reads:

The 3 days of terrible darkness over the land of Egypt represent the 3 years of mental obscurity respecting the cause (influence of the demons) of the World War ending with the publication of this book in 1917.

A scan of the 1926 edition on this passage can be found here:

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/finishedmystery/fmr16.html

I'm not good at imbedding scans onto these pages. Perhaps someone could imbed a scan of page 256 from the 1918 edition to show the stretch from "3 years" to "3 1/2 years"?

The 1917, 1918 and 1926 texts of the Finished Mystery are linked on Jwfacts webpage of older Watchtower publications:

http://jehovah.net.au/books.html

• Atlantis
      Atlantis

Pages 350-351 of the PDF or page 256 of the book (1917 ed.) state: The three days of terrible darkness over the land represent the three years of the great war, and indicate its close shortly after the publication of this final witness to the Church.

The 1918 edition changes these statements. Interestingly, for the second one it changes the 3 days to 3 1/2 days, so the war could stretch until the Spring of 1918!! So, when the "three days" or "three years" went past October 1st, 1917, they changed the text to read 3 1/2 days and stretched the war to 3 1/2 years. So page 256 of the 1918 edition reads:

The 3 1/2 days of terrible darkness over the land represent the 3 1/2 years of the great war, that indicate its close shortly after the publication of this final witness to the Church.

N.

• RubaDub
      RubaDub

The first printing of Studies In the Scriptures Series VII - The Finished Mystery was June 1917, in which the end of World War One was predicted for October 1st, 1917.

True. But that was before they realized that there was no zero year, it went from 1 BC to 1AD (or 1 BCE to 1 CE in JW speak).

So adding one year to 1917 brings you to 1918.

Rub a Dub

• sir82
      sir82

Hey they were only one year off!

Gien their track record for their other predictions, that's about as good as can be expected!

• cabasilas
      cabasilas

Rubadub, Hilarious!

And, thanks, Atlantis, for posting those scans!

The more one reads the Finished Mystery (either the 1917 or 1918 editions), one has to ask:

If Jesus Christ came and judged all the world's religions in 1918 like the Watchtower Society said he did, why would he choose the Watchtower Society? At that very time they were presumptuously making outlandish predictions for the end of the war, for the destruction of Christendom (in 1918) and the destruction of the nations (in 1920).

In 1918, Rutherford was beginning his "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" campaign, saying that millions of people (not Bible Students, but millions of average people) would not die and that restoration to Israel and the return of ancient prophets would occur by 1925.

Would Jesus really choose this group?

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit