Finished Mystery predicted WW1 would end in 1917

by jwfacts 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still_in74
  • still_in74
    still_in74

The first printing of Studies In the Scriptures Series VII - The Finished Mystery was June 1917, in which the end of World War One was predicted for October 1st, 1917.

True. But that was before they realized that there was no zero year, it went from 1 BC to 1AD (or 1 BCE to 1 CE in JW speak).

So adding one year to 1917 brings you to 1918.

so we can be prepared for this ubiquitous statement, when exactly was it that the WTS actually came out and stated the no Zero year tid-bit???

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    when exactly was it that the WTS actually came out and stated the no Zero year tid-bit???
    But that was before they realized that there was no zero year, it went from 1 BC to 1AD (or 1 BCE to 1 CE in JW speak).

So adding one year to 1917 brings you to 1918.

A JW may say that, but I don't think the Watchtower would attempt to use that reasoning. Accurately predicting the end of the war is not something that they have ever bought up as evidence of guidance, as they constantly do with 1914 - they rather sweep the specific contents of the Finished Mystery under the carpet.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    The 3 1/2 days of terrible darkness over the land represent the 3 1/2 years of the great war, that indicate its close shortly after the publication of this final witness to the Church.

So, instead of admitting they were wrong about the war ending about October 1, 1917, they tweaked with the data and stretched the prediction a few more months!

These passages are hardly recognizable at all in the 1926 edition (though the 1926 edition changes the 3 1/2 days back to 3 but does not connect it with the end of the war.) Page 256 of the 1926 edition reads:

The 3 days of terrible darkness over the land of Egypt represent the 3 years of mental obscurity respecting the cause (influence of the demons) of the World War ending with the publication of this book in 1917.

I ----- AM ----- SOOOOOO ----- PISSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT TO SCREAM THE "F" WORD WHEN I READ SHIT LIKE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!! 33 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit