Oh my, just found out, my grandson, is autistic, daughter has cancer...

by orbison11 30 Replies latest jw friends

• free2think
    free2think

I'm really sorry Wendy, my heart goes out to you and your family.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

(((Wendy)))

(((Leolaia))) for telling your story. wow I can see how "I have obsessive interests that allow me to research subjects in great depth and detail." plays itself out here on JWD

When I was in college I and another student in my program did an independant study course that involved a teaching assistant in a class of 5-8 yr old autistic children. I also got familiar with children in one of the older classes.

Of all the kids I saw only one was impossibly difficult to manage.

Most of the children spent time in their little worlds but there were ways to get into those worlds and gently coax them into the outer world. All of the children were non verbal. It was a great experience for me.

Recently there was a program on TV of an autistic girl who had recieved a lot of help. I forget why but someone got her to work on a computer and over the years she learned how to communicate. There was an active intellignet mind locked inside her body.

Don't think this is as terrible as it might sound. As Leolaia demonstrates we have no way of knowing yet what the future holds

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Hopefully better days are comming.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

Sorry to hear about your Daughter having cancer.

I have a granddaughter with Bipolar and my son had 2 heart surgeries. He is still having problems.

Sweetie its OK to cry on my shoulder, If you want to pm me you can. I am here for you.

alt

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hi Lady Lee....

Recently there was a program on TV of an autistic girl who had recieved a lot of help. I forget why but someone got her to work on a computer and over the years she learned how to communicate.

Yeah, if that is the girl that was profiled on CNN, I know her....her brother lives near me and he goes to the same social group that I go to. He's a real nice guy too. We had a telephone conference once with Amanda when we met with some community advocates to try to improve the situation for a friend of ours. I am still disappointed that our efforts did not really get anywhere, although the problem was quite a complex one.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

http://pop.youtube.com/watch?v=rdgO4UDrwm8

http://www.cricksoft.com/us/accessibility/

One site for asistive technology - maybe it will be of some future use?

And the second site is for your personal future use. There may be other entries you find alongside which may be of benefit.

You can but be yourself at all times - even when it is simply nothing - like a tree in its winter awaiting the spring!

Best wishes,

Crusoe.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

wow - you are dealing with so much now! You know you have to be strong and cope, but you'll have to be kind to yourself too. I am so sorry and hope things get better for you and your family. Love, Hortensia

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Leolaia, thanks so much for sharing your own story - I'm grateful you share your obsessive researching with us!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Wendy my love - you are allowed to have a good cry, and then vent and be angry - it's thearoputic (that spelling looks so bad) You need to live each one of those emotions.

Bipolar - can be treated. People with autism can still have a productive life - best to get help on this and from experts - cancer can be treated - will keep your pain close to my heart and will think / pray for your family often.

• orbison11
    orbison11

thank you all,,,no meltdown yet,,guess i can get thru all this too,,,,

i am taking all your advice seriously

wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit