The Death Penalty? What do you think?

by Country Girl 101 Replies latest jw friends

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

barring any... "what if they are not guilty" arguments, 'f*' em. no use for them. Kill them. "The Death Penalty" is a flawed system, so I am against state sanctioned "murder". I do not trust our legal systems, and I do not trust the judgement of humans. Barring a judgement call, I have no use for a child molester. I used to smoke cigarettes. I sometimes have an urge to smoke. I have not smoked since September. I cannot guarantee you I will not smoke another cigarette. It is a friggin cigarette. One cigarette will not kill me. It probably will cause no substantial harm to me. If my urge to smoke a cigarette is 1/100000000000000th (add zeros if you wish) of the urge that a child rapist (proven to have done so even once) has to rape a child, remove them from this existence. If you were to molest my three year old, I WOULD KILL YOU GIVEN THE OPPURTUNITY, WHICH I WOULD MAXIMIZE! I WOULD FEEL NO REMORSE AFTER DOING SO. Remove the doubts, remove your distrust of governments and possibilities of innocence. Death is a reasonable punishment for the rape of an innocent child(I am not talking about an 18 year old having sex with a willing 14 year old, and judgement calls are a necessary ambiguity to this question and answer).

*I don't think we censor here, and it's been a while, so I'm editing myself

• 5go
    5go
    Death is a reasonable punishment for the rape of an innocent child(I am not talking about an 18 year old having sex with a willing 14 year old, and judgement calls are a necessary ambiguity to this question and answer).

Yeah, I agree I think he should be given the death penalty to die a natural death after living decades of regret in prison.

• inrainbows
    inrainbows

Tuesday

it seems to just be a personal decision.

Errr... well, I suppose you could allow the convicted person to decide. That's the only way you could make it a personal decison that didn't infringe another's human rights.

lesterd

He is the only one who can pronounce innocence.

Fine. Let him strike dead those worthy of it. Oh... or do you (or someone else who thinks they have the same opinion as god) get to act as a proxy god? Anyway, isn't it INNOCENT until proven guilty? You have it the wrong way round.

I love the thought stopping on display by some people in this. Confronted with the fact USA is out-on-a-limb with Saudi Arabia, China and Iran as an executin' country, do you think about it? Nooooooooooo. You carry on saying that the death penalty is right.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I must be honest, for a while I was for the death penalty, living in a country where you hear of horrid things being done to babies/children/people - I could some news on here that will leave you sick in your stomach and baying for blood - but then what does killing someone accomplish? It's painless for them these days and then over pretty quickly.....

For gross crimes, those criminals need to put in a maximum prison for life and denied visitors, plus be put into hard labour repairing roads, or anything else that is required by the government to be done repairing the country (building schools). They will keep on paying for the rest of their lives.

The unfortuante thing is that in my country - you're lucky if you catch the damn criminals in the first place. And then when you do you have to keep thm under maximum security from them 'cos so many escape or their case docuts get stolen from the court (yes this happens!!! very often here)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Grow up in a religiously active violent culture where the death penalty is enforced and you will feel it is right.

Grow up in a secular culture with lower levels of violence and no executions and it will appear barbaric.

So we see it again:

"blahblahblahblahblahblahreligionbadblahblahblahblahblahblah"

"blahblahblahblahblahblahnoreligiongoodblahblahblahblahblahblah"

It isn't that cut n' dried. Sheesh.

We've got nonbelievers for the axe on here and believers against.

As for secular societies having less violent crime, Saudi Arabia appears to be lower than North America and all of Western Europe:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

Burn

• justhuman
    justhuman

I do support death penaly, specially for child abusers and any one who hurts an innocent soul.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

In cases of child abuse? Absolutely, positively, NOT. I don't even support life in prison or even five years in 'prison' for abusers. (and remember I WAS abused) I wouldn't have wanted to see my abuser (a SERIAL abuser by the way) just sit in prison for ever. I would be in favor of 5 years or so in a true mental illness facility where they can be rehabilitated. What good to take someone with a problem and stick them in a room for a couple years then release them with the exact same problems with NO changes? WTF is the point? I mean the whole idea is beyond stupid. And LIFE for SEX? Ok can we say WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over reaction? At what point will we realize that rape is NOT murder? I wasn't KILLED in fact my life has been just fine.

Heck a MONTH in a serious mental care facility would be more advantageous to society than ten YEARS sitting in a little room getting NO help and probably replaying their depraved fantasies the entire time...

I'm in favor of life in prison for VERY few crimes.

• Premeditated murder- Absolutely, life without the possibility of parole, a free cyanide capsule upon request at any time
    • Any murder associated with another crime. Rape, assault, arson, kidnapping, robbery, etc that results in a MURDER see above. I DON'T include cases where one of the other people involved in the crime is killed and the others are charged with his or her murder. That is making someone else responsible for their decision. Under my system everyone is accountable for their own actions!
    • Armed robbery- Third offense, absofreakinlutly, however one of the first two offenses MUST have been a rehabilitating sentence where they could learn marketable skills and have been given jobs on the outside, cyanide upon request
    • Rape (adult OR child) Second offense providing the treatment for the FIRST offences was rehabilitating in nature, cyanide upon request!

Maybe one or two others... NO drug charges I don't give a crap how much you take or how much you SELL in my system you don't go to jail for drugs. You use you go to the hospital. You sell you lose everything you own to the IRS and get tossed on the street. If you've committed other crimes (other than tax evasion) your charged with them. In NO case is the sentence for drugs themselves longer than 1 year.

My whole thought is this idea that were going to take someone and stick them in a room and somehow expect time to cure them is idiotic. This idea of an entire body for an eye is ridiculous. If someone steals from you why lock them up for years and years? Make them get some vocational training give them a job and make them pay you back several times over, and them since they have a job they won't need to steal. If someone commits a rape is it bad? Yes! Is it worthy of DEATH? NO! No it ISN'T! This person is sick this person needs help. So instead we put them in a box for a few years they get out and are now a registered sex offender meaning they CAN'T get a good job they have no life left and no chance of rebuilding elsewhere so why NOT re-offend? I mean really to this sick shit what reason does he have not to do it again? He has no life to 'protect' he has no family or job to live for so why not! His ONLY reason to EXIST is to re-offend and his only recourse to CONTINUE to re-offend is to now kill the victim to keep them silent so that he can continue to rape...

WTF is the matter with our country that we have over a million people behind bars?

There are more people in prison in this country than there are JW's!

I don't know... I'm ranting it's early I just got of work I'm NOT going to proofread this so if it makes no sense... Well I'll try to fix it tonight when I go back to work! Now I'm off to bed...

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Your society has gone soft in the head.

The death penalty should be enacted upon all useless people. Murderers, child molesters, tax collectors, Jehovah's Witnesses and anyone who talks about their religion whatever it is.

Death could be a swift sword stroke for lesser offenders but child molesters should be thrown to the lions.

To die in the arena is an honour so these undesirables have nothing to complain about.

We who are about to die salute you!

• inrainbows
    inrainbows

Burn the ships

"blahblahblahblahblahblahreligionbadblahblahblahblahblahblah"

"blahblahblahblahblahblahnoreligiongoodblahblahblahblahblahblah"

You are so articulate...

Act like a child in this discussion and be treated like one.

If I have unfairly characterised anything, please point it out.

You HAVE unfairly characterised my argument.

First of all I am not making any argument concerning belief in god.

I am breaking the link between people's various claims at having the 'right' religion (or 'right' enough to kill someone on a belief basis) and 'god'.

Surely we have all learned enough not to make foolish claims that we or our opinions can represent god?

Religion (any religion) is the claim that a set of opinions (ultimately a person's opinions even if they merely parrot those of their religion) represents god.

That claim is unprovable and the path down which madness lies

Or are people here claiming to have god's truth? If so, please prove it. Oh you can't. Yawn.

The difference between religous cultures and secular cultures is that secular cultures (as far as modern democracies go) put the right of individuals before religious beliefs, and religious cultures don't. Which is why Islamic cultures treat women like chattel and America wobbles on the verge of abolishing abortion.

(Before anyone goes down the abortion 'an unborn child is a individual too', no, an unborn child of the age that any sensible person would advocate on-demand abortion for (say 16 weeks or under), is NOT an individual, it has less brain matter than a squirrel. If you disagree start a new thread entitled 'I have proof that a 16 week onl fetus has more brain matter than a squirrel' and provide the references. If you believe it is 'ensouled', see above comments about your religious beliefs being irrelevent to a secular culture and solve the problem by not having any abortions yourself)

Second, I am not talking purely about violent crime. Nazi Germany had a low rate of crime. So does Saudi Arabia. But would you call either culture peaceful? Holocaust and Sharia law are a little violent, don't you think. Judicial execution and government sanctioned torture are a little on the violent side too.

Now, as you have misrepresented what I said or did not have the courtesy to read what I said, or misunderstood it and leaped to false conclusions, maybe you will apologise like an adult and respond to what I actually said rather than making fallacious arguments.

Or maybe you'll carry on behaving like a kid. Keep up the blahblah routine by all means, it just makes me laugh.

Obviously it goes without saying y'all can support the death penalty. But the fact you don't even deal with the reasons why most Europeans think it is barbaric says more than all the words you use.

Strapping a human to a gurney and killing him with a syringe is just as bad as burying him up to his waist and throwing rocks at him. You might feel one is civilised, and the other isn't but you are in a minority.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You are so articulate...

Act like a child in this discussion and be treated like one.

If I have unfairly characterised anything, please point it out.

You HAVE unfairly characterised my argument.

I know, I can get my point across with few words. Look at my response and see it was not directed at your comment but at a simplisticreaction to your comment. Treat me like a child if you like, it will only make you look childish, as you do now.

(Before anyone goes down the abortion 'an unborn child is a individual too', no, an unborn child of the age that any sensible person would advocate on-demand abortion for (say 16 weeks or under), is NOT an individual, it has less brain matter than a squirrel. If you disagree start a new thread entitled 'I have proof that a 16 week onl fetus has more brain matter than a squirrel' and provide the references. If you believe it is 'ensouled', see above comments about your religious beliefs being irrelevent to a secular culture and solve the problem by not having any abortions yourself)

Is human life tied to how much brain matter we have? Is an Einstein more human than I? Is humanness an agglomeration of fat and neurons? I don't need to prove the size of the brain of a fetus. That is a misdirection. A fetus is human. To destroy it is to murder. To use your brain matter argument as an ethical basis would allow me to euthanize the mentally handicapped.

Brain dead woman delivers child.

Indeed for us murder is forbidden once and for all, so it is not permitted even to destroy what is conceived in the womb. To prohibit the birth of a child is only a faster way to murder; it makes little difference whether one destroys a life already born or prevents it from coming to birth. It is a human being, who is to be a human being, for the whole fruit is already present in the seed.

"That is man that becomes a man."

If we sanction the murder of those that cannot speak for themselves, we are as bad as the most oppressive Saudi theocrats.

Looking at the sheer amount of life destroyed in our own societies, we are more of a culture of death than they are. We are not better at all.

Strapping a human to a gurney and killing him with a syringe is just as bad as burying him up to his waist and throwing rocks at him. You might feel one is civilised, and the other isn't but you are in a minority.

Sawing an innocent human up in the womb or injecting them with a poisonous cocktail is even worse than strapping a guilty human to a gurney and killing him with a syringe. You might feel the first is civilized, and the other isn't, but your majority opinion is nonetheless fatally flawed. Fatally.

Burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit