The Death Penalty? What do you think?

by Country Girl 101 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I don't know, but when a person does bad things like that, they sentence their WHOLE FAMILY for their life. Especially if they are a close and loving family.

Lots of dudes on Death Row don't have anyone. They're going to die someday, and they have no one to talk to. Their family has left them. Actually, their family has no one to talk to. So what do you think of a person that wants to talk to them?

CG

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Even if you do not use the "ultimate deterrent" ' I would prefer the death penalty to remain on the statute books

• beksbks
    beksbks

I think if the victim suffered at the hands of another knowingly, they deserve to die.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    But what would be your opinion if we could be CERTAIN of guilt? Like if in 2030 we can just scan the last few moments of a persons memory to see who killed them, or analyze the memory of the accused and see the crime take place. Or if there was a video recording of the event?

You're joking right? Thought crimes? Orwell's 1984? Even if possible, would you want the state wielding the power to look into a person's thoughts?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I think if the victim suffered at the hands of another knowingly, they deserve to die.

I used to feel the same way. Then I heard the stories of cases overturned because of the new ability of DNA evidence. I saw the statistics showing more money is spent on death row inmates than lifers. I thought about the impossiblity of extracting atonement for murder. And I changed my mind. There is no question that some people deserve to die, or more apt, don't deserve to live. However, society can not be in the business of giving everyone what they deserve.

• bisous
    bisous

Not in support of death penalty, state-sanctioned murder is still murder. not to mention the flaws and corruption in our system that allows innocents to die or languish for 10,20,30 years on death row because of fraud, hate, deception.

I do agree with the idea of having prisoners do something productive while incarcerated. I also think that there are better rehabilitation systems in the world that the US could learn from (Canada, Denmark).

On a side note - Barbie Doll: Just because you know of an instance of lying ... that doesn't make it common. Avishai is correct, children RARELY lie about being sexually molested.

The truth is more often than not, children are afraid to speak out. So if NOT telling is part of your equation towards lying about the situation ... that is a different story.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Now this has gotten all off topic. The question is: Do you think that someone should be executed if they sexually molest a child. I am not talking about touching a child indecently, but rape. I am not talking about a kid that is older, and perhaps understands, I am talking about little kids. Somehow that is more heinous. It's disgusting and most of us would shove that peron's nose up their ass. Do they deserve the death penalty?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Under the circumstances of our society, I do not think the death penalty is necessary.

#1 The main purpose of the penal system should be to protect the innocent from those that would deprive them of their right to life and property. Life imprisonment accomplishes this and we are wealthy enough to afford it.*

#2 Our justice system is very imperfect. I would rather see 100 murderers escape the noose than a single innocent person be misjudged and executed. Imprisonment is reversible, death is not.

*If we were a very poor society upon which housing and isolating these criminals imposed an unduly large burden, then I could be persuaded to change my mind.

BTS

EDIT. I see this is a very old thread and I had posted on it *way back*.

• beksbks
    beksbks

John Doe, I can't help but look at it like a mother. If someone hurt one of my babies,..................

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Amen, beks.

I have a saying for that situation: "They better hope the Sheriff's Dept. gets there first...."

-LWT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit