Why was the "Manking Search For God" publication never a study book?

by truthseeker 29 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Any takers?

I'm guessing it's because people might get too curious when covering the material and wonder about different religions.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think we did go through it, once in 1991 or so. It was not meant to study like other littera-trash. And it put the other religions in the worst possible light, and the cult in the best possible light.

Which is why I strongly recommend anyone thinking of joining another religion research it using independent sources. Do not rely on that book, since it is biased in favor of the Watchtower Society. You are better off to start with the prospective religion's official site. Look to see if you can find all the core beliefs on the official site--if not, you could well be looking at another cult. Then cross-reference it with other sites, and try to find at least one that is critical of the new religion. If you find one, check and see if most of the posts are insults or if the critical posts are rational.

And, if you are doing a research project, I recommend looking at as many sites as possible. Whether you are curious or doing a college dissertation, cross referencing and checking other sites will give you a more balanced viewpoint than just looking at some book that the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger puts out.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It was a study book, years ago. We only did it once.

Burn

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Why would Witlesses ever want to study other religions? They already have the Truth!!

• sir82
    sir82

It was a study book, years ago. We only did it once.

Definitely not.

I believe it was covered in the Ministry School, though - as I recall, as the source for a series of "No. 1" talks.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Definitely not.

I believe it was covered in the Ministry School, though - as I recall, as the source for a series of "No. 1" talks.

My recollection is different than yours, obviously. I distinctly remember covering it in book study. A book like that would have been different, and it was in the early 90s, as I was not yet married and was a pioneer.

Burn

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Mankind's Search for God was never used in the Congregation Book Study. This can be verified by searching the Watchtower Library CD-ROM for the schedule of the study for that publication.

It was "covered" in the February 1998 Kingdom Ministry more thoroughly than during any other formal meeting of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I believe the book was never studied in the CBS because it was not designed for Jehovah's Witnesses and did not reinforce JW propaganda to the degree desirable during a Congregation Book Study. It was very kindly toward a good many religions. Its opening chapters freely compare the Bible accounts of origin and early man to the contemporary prevalent myths of the Ancient Sumerians. It discusses the philosophy behind the world's major religions freely.

In short, it is a book that could easily make a JW start thinking about their own religion in a less favorable or less singular light.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

sir82,

Your recollection is correct. The Talk #1 series was given from three chapters at a time with no question and answers. For obvious reasons. I clearly recall the more uncomfortable points being glossed over routinely.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

I have often wondered why this book was never studied myself. My recollection was that we had never covered it at the book study. If it was covered a few years ago it should be in the OKMs... hmmm let me check that.

• freetosee
    freetosee

hmm... I thought we studied it during the book study, but I'm not really sure now...

If it was not, then it might be because of the contents. Like mentioned, the book gives a bad picture of all other religions. But since it focuses on other religions, it does not have the needed amount of wt light, instructions and repetitions in order to drill encourage the r&f.

fts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit