Why was the "Manking Search For God" publication never a study book?

by truthseeker 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Tristram
    Tristram
    So why do you think it wasn't studied?

For the reasons given above. It was designed more for use in the field, and it went chapters and chapters with nary a scripture citation. Not quite conducive to the typical book study. But it did pique my interest in Buddhism and the Bahai faith.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I remember reading through it and thinking to myself... Wow, regardles of which religion we are compared to, we still have the truth...

Now I can see what a clever propaganda tool it is, but I agree that it might make thinking persons think. The average witness would probably take evrything at face value and say (like I did) it's wonderful that we are in the truth!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The Mankind's Search for God book was never used for the congregation book study; I was a conductor, I always wondered why we studied the Rev book even once, let alone 3 (when I was attending) times.

The Search book was actually interesting, that might be one factor. And maybe they were afraid of how boring the Truth was compared to other (real) religions.

P

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Yep I was confusing it with The Greatest Man book.

• IT Support
    IT Support

A number of convincing reasons have been advanced, however I heard the book was researched and written by a 'sister' in London Bethel. An attractive young sister who, before going into Bethel, used to work as a research assistant at the British Museum.

And I don't think sisters are allowed to write any material that is used for 'teaching,' whether WT study articles or book study publications

After all, everybody -- well, every holy high roller, anyway -- knows that holy spirit doesn't flow through those of the feminine gender. Especially attractive young ones.

Which does rather beg the question, why the heck did they publish it in the first place ... ?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

But IT Support, surely it would be okay so long as she wore a head covering while writing it.

That explanation is seriously messed up - and therefore probably true.

Slim

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

IT,

Maybe its one of those cases where the writer turns apostate after trying to write something truthful and for doing a lot of research. So if your theory is true, she would be following a line of those in the evil slave class...

i.e. Ray Franz... write Aid book, realizes he's been had

i.e. Ed Dunlap, write Commentary on James, and Sacred service isn't what it used to be

and now, pretty young intelligent sister at London Bethel writes Mankind Search for God, and does her own search for God at the same time.

BTW, pretty sis, if you're on this board, spill the beans!!!

A@G

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I remember when it came out I thought it had some really cool pictures. It definitely was not like the other books which meant it was somewhat interesting. I think they emphasized that it should be studied...a bit more then normal releases...I know my family had a weekly family study out of it shortly. Unfortunately it gave normal dubs a over inflated sense of knowledge about others beliefs, I am sure some dubs got trashed when actually confronted with people from these beliefs.

• IT Support
    IT Support

SBF,

surely it would be okay so long as she wore a head covering while writing it.

Good point.

AaG,

Maybe its one of those cases where the writer turns apostate

Good theory, and tempting too, but sadly she was still at Bethel last time I visited (a few years ago now, admittedly!), but which was long after the book was published, and was still apparently 'loyal.'

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

I remember reading this book cover to cover and being disappointed I had no one in the congregation to talk with about it. "Too busy to read it" was one comment I heard. It's sad that people who claim to be interested in helping others don't have time to see where the people they are talking to at doors, streets, etc. are coming from. I remember how sad I felt when Taoism was mentioned in other publications for study and I made a comment with the proper pronunciation (more like dowism) and the conductor either "corrected" me saying " you mean TAY O ISM," or said, "Is that how that is pronounced?". They would have known if they read the Mankind's Search book (or at least a dictionary). I've recently found some audio courses at my public library from the Teaching Company that gives AWESOME lectures on such subjects as philosophy of religion, science of religion, origin of life, buddism, islam, judiasm, etc.

This is my first post so hello to all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit