Anyone here into vegetarianism?

by DazedAndConfused 33 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Sirona:

Those who said that you can get enough protein by eating veggies, could you please break that down and explain how I'm going to get 45g or more (whilst pregnant I was told 70g per day) on just vegetables!

I don't normally worry too much about the exact nutritional content of what I eat; my normal eating pattern seems to work fairly well. But breaking down what I've eaten today, for breakfast I had:

2 large eggs, scrambled (with cheese) : approx 15g of protein

1 portion of baked beans: 10g of protein

5 hash browns: 3g of protein

1 Linda McCartney sausage: 11.3g of protein.

1 slice of seven seed bread, toasted: approx. 3g of protein

Approx. 200ml mixed fruit smoothie: approx 2g of protein

That's approximately 44g of protein, just in breakfast!

Since then, I've had a packet of Cheese & Onion Frisps (1.4g of protein) and a banana (1g of protein) to take me over the guideline allowance. And I haven't had dinner yet. (And I pretty much skipped lunch.)

I do not recommend following the above diet (!) but I only eat a breakfast like that on weekends and if I were snacking on nuts instead of a "reformed potato snack" I'd have an even higher protein count now.

I will try to include some actual vegetables in my dinner!

See http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm for more balanced advice.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Derek

Thanks

I like eggs on toast for breakfast. Or a bagel. Something like that.

I suppose I just kept feeling like I wasn't getting enough protein each and every day.

I will check the link,

Sirona

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Heh. I forget about the entire "beans and soy protein" crap. I just drink a protein shake every day before I start my day. You can buy jugs of dehydrated whey protein for 12 bucks at the local Wal Mart. I drink a protien shake every day. I'm an ovo-lacto, so it's OK for me to drink them. The cholesterol level is kinda high, but since I don't eat meat and I eat almost nothing in cheese products, I have a very low cholesterol level.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I don't think Veganism is natural. Our physiology and psychology is omnivorous.

Burn-the carnivore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit