Anyone here into vegetarianism?

by DazedAndConfused 33 Replies latest jw friends

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

This trying to become somewhat of a vegetarian is hard. I can look up anything on the net and find out how to do anything, including how to make a devastating nail bomb to making ricine (sp) to kill people but I can't seem to find out the nutritional values a person needs.

What I worry about most is the protein that we need on a daily basis. Right now I am eating everything that has the highest content of protein I can find in the cupboard.

I am not trying to go vegetarian because of PETA, although I have watched the video's (eeeeewwwww). I want to go a very liberal vegetarian because of my own taste. For at least 2 years now I have despised meat. If I make chili for us, I push the meat out and eat the rest. I just don't like how meat tastes anymore.

Anyway, I know this is disjointed, but I am asking anyone who does live a vegetarian lifestyle to let me know how to find out the protein content we need.

TY

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I'm not a vegan but you can get protein in beans, legumes (sp?), Yogurt (not sure if that's allowed).

I'm sure someone else will be along to help you out more.

nj

• llbh
    llbh

Hi D&C

I have never eaten meat or fish i hate the taste and smell. I am 6'3" tall and 22ib. I eat and have always eaten everthing else without worrying about the protein content. I eat what i like and it seems to work

I am now conscious of my fat intake and try to limit it, as i am concerned about my heart

Reagrds David

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I've gone back and forth eating a vegetarian diet- every now and then meat grosses me out and I go through long periods of time not having any meat at all.
    When I'm sticking on a vegetarian diet, I eat lots of grains, legumes, vegetables and nuts that have high protein content. Here are a couple guides online about where you can get your protein from in case you want to check it out.

http://www.happycow.net/vegetarian_protein.html

http://www.theveggietable.com/articles/protein.html

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've tried vegetarianism, but never lasted more than 2 days without meat. I guess I'm just a hardcore carnivore.

W

• BrentR
    BrentR

Are you going to incorporate dairy into your diet?

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

I have tried many times but failed. I now eat meat about 3-4 times a week and have smaller portions. I avoid all processed meats if possible.

• avishai
    avishai

Tofu and tempeh are always good.

• chickpea
    chickpea

excellent resource site is World's Healthiest Foods

http://www.whfoods.com/

on the left side menu near the bottom is the heading "Features in the WHFoods Website"..... in the first category called "Eating Healthy" is a link to "Essential Nutrients"..... prepare to get schooled in all things nutrition....... from definitions to functions to requirements/deficiency symptoms to healthiest sources.......

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

Thanks for all of your replies. I am soooo confused. I just ordered a book on becoming vegetarian but it has not arrived yet.

Thank you for all of the links, they will be helpful.

Brent, I want to become a very liberal vegetarian. Yes, I will incorporate dairy.

I don't see the other person here to respond to. The one who said he (?) doesn't eat meat and is very healthy. Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit