What's Wrong With Children's Sports?

by compound complex 23 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Friends:

This weekend I helped a friend - a professional photographer - with his photo shoot of nearly 200 Little Leaguers. I was apprehensive beforehand as the paperwork (my job) can easily go wrong and I hate crowds.

Well, everything went well and I discovered two things:

1) I don't hate crowds after all (it's only CA and DC crowds that I could never tolerate).

2) I experienced an enjoyable and wholesome day of family fun. Team moms were very helpful in expediting our job, keeping the kids in line, bringing us food and drink, etc. Point: I was wrong to deny myself and my children this experience ...

What are your thoughts and feelings on children's sports?

Thanks,

CoCo

• BrentR
    BrentR

Our daughter plays in a girls soccer league and loves it. Of course my rabid JW mom caught wind and had to send us a bunch of info about the dangers of kids in sports. She watches Oprah everyday and is a JW therefore an expert on everything. Two seasons later she had no injuries other then a few shin bruises. She has learned how be a team player and how win and lose with grace and dignity.

Her team last season was 10-2. And my JW mom was wrong on every level.

alt

GO STARZ!!!!!

• *summer*
    *summer*

Absolutely nothing wrong with children and sports.

It becomes an outlet for their growing energy. It teaches them how to be part of a team and interact. It teaches them that life is not always about winning. Losses must be expected as part of the game as well. And most of all, sports keep many children off the street.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I feel a huge chunk of my childhood was robbed by not being allowed to play sports. Even if the Borg allowed it my worrywart mom still would never have.

All I can do now is enjoy watching my daughter play, it's very bittersweet.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Brent and *summer*:

Your points were well made and helpful.

With gratitude,

CoCo

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Excellent Brent,

I useda have too many girls volunteer for soccer!

I say too many cuz it was like 15 a side lol!

Some were gifted like they were made for it! And just as crazy as the boys!

With a dozen or so on the netball courts!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

The problem is that they're a waste of time that could otherwise be spent in the field misery.

Seriously though. This is one reason I left. I want my kids to be able to play sports.

When I was in high school I joined the track team (didn't tell parents). To attend my first meet I told the parents I was out on the ministry with friends (changed from dress clothes when I got there). I did great and afterwards my friends were there with their parents and asked where my parents were. I was devistated. I had to get back in my dress clothes and walk home alone while they all went out to celebrate with their families. Then my name was in the school newspaper and I was terrified that I would get caught for my sin. I quit the team because I didn't see how I could continue without getting caught.

My kids will be suported in whatever they chose to do.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy
    What's Wrong With Children's Sports?

The parents that forget the kids are just playing a game. All my nieces and nephews played sports. 3 out of 4 got some sort of college funding out of it. And a healthier teenlife, and tons of self respect.

momz

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Team sports are more fun than they will ever get elsewhere - so long as they are included that is!

• BrentR
    BrentR
    And just as crazy as the boys!

Yes! I picked up on that five minutes into her first game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit