What's Wrong With Children's Sports?

by compound complex 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Competition.

It's from da Debil.

• BrentR
    BrentR

Of all the JW's stupidass rules, no sports was the one that made the least sense to me. It's bad enough that we all stood out like a turd in a punch bowl when we were in school but lets make sure they don't have any fun either.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

after having several children who participated in childhood sports, the only thing I ever found wrong was the way some parents acted at the games.

• BrentR
    BrentR

That's almost a topic for another thread. My experience so far has been great with all the parents. We chat with parents from both teams and congradulate thier kids for a goal or good play. I am sure in the higher leagues the competition gets more intense thus bringing out the ugly in some of them.

But I blame the parent(s) and not the sport for that dysfunction. I am sure thier behavior is less then stellar in other areas also besides just the game.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

I wasn't allowed although perhaps it was by logical assumption.

I knew to not even ask.

My Daddy was the P.O. don'tcha know!

• Dawn
    Dawn

My son played sports from 1st grade through high school. What I noticed is that the kids involved in sports early on have parents that are very involved in their lives (they have to be to get them to practices and games). Hence - he bonded early on with kids who had good stable families.

In high school kids had to sign an agreement to be randomly drug tested in order to play sports - if you were caught with drugs or alcohol you were out for the entire year. It was enough incentive for my son to keep him clean and sober because he loved sports so much

4 of these boys he played with have become long term life friends - he's rooming with them in college now - And they're all doing well.

I think sports can be very positive IF they are not forced on the child (as some parents do).

I wish I had been allowed to play sports when I was younger. I grew up thinking I wasn't very good at anything athletic - come to find out, it was only because I had never had the chance to try. I took up dance and soft ball as an adult and found out I actually had an athletic gift - wish I could have used it more when I was younger. But then I would have missed out on all that productive field service

• lrkr
    lrkr

My son's little league team, and soccer team have been one of the great joys of my life. There is no feeling like coaching a group of 7 and 8 year old and watching them "get it". Youth sports are so good on so many levels. I am so glad I woke up while he was still young enough to enjoy this part of childhood.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The only thing I can think of is that people cannot be out in field circus while playing sports or practicing for them. And sometimes they are held on the same evenings that the boasting sessions are, and could lead to missing a boasting session.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends,

I'm grateful for all of your comments. You personally have seen the real benefits of children's sports: you and your kids are directly involved. As with everything involving people, there are problems and politics. But it's wrong of the Society to paint everything non-WT as evil or a distraction from the kingdom work.

Thanks for allowing me to see through your eyes ...

CoCo

• BrentR
    BrentR

I am still curious how you managed to photograph 200 kids without experiencing a psychotic episode?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit