In Memorandum of Charlie Heston.

by AK - Jeff 48 Replies latest social current

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

First of all, I believe that the expression that you're looking for is - In Memorium. The word memorandum refers to a brief note that a person jots down on a piece of paper. From the word memorandum, we get the word memo.

As for Heston, he was a homophobic, anti-semitic, misogynist racist much admired by none other than Daivd Duke. Heston trivialized the Holocaust. A case could be made for Heston's acting skills, but as a person, he was hateful and vile. And this fact made him the ideal spokesman for the paranoid organizational collective known as the N.R.A. - a group that is even more dangerous to American society than all of the religious cults combined.

American society is much better off now that the words, in memorium, can be put before Heston's name. But I decidedly do not hope that Heston is in Hell. In fact, I hope that he is in heaven, with other luminous exemplars of American society such as Roy Cohn and Joseph McCarthy. Moreover, after he approaches the throne of God, I hope that Heston is greeted by a Jewish, Negro, lesbian.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Sorry to sound awful, but good riddance to him. His activities with the NRA sickened me. He may have been an excellent actor but he was a pedantic gun toting old buffoon IMO.

May the sky fairy rest his gun lovin' old soul.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

not to sidetrack this thread... but in Jolly old England violent crime has gone up since your govt disarmed the population last time. Handguns are still around for the enterprising criminal and sumari swords are in vouge for those who dont fancy firearms.

Charlton Heston should be remembered for the good he did...keeping the law of the land in front of the media was a good thing. Guys like Heston and Ronald Reagan and a host of others from out "Greatest Generation" may be the last group of Americans who "get it".

Rant over....

Jeff

• carla
    carla

Rapunzel, your own hate speech rivals that of what you accuse Heston of.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Bowling for Colubine? Isnt that a Mike Moore film? That says it all... entertaining, but to be taken with a grain of salt.

Jeff

• dawg
    dawg

Yea that Michal Moore, he was so wrong about the Iraq war, his creditability has to have suffered!!!!! NOT!

Hillbilly, as a Southerner, and one that has taken a few Constitutional law classes, what the hell are you talking about? I mean really? Are you really going to sit there and say that our founding fathers could have ever foresaw the "arms" that we have now? That they would want us having such things in our possessions? I don't know how the line should be drawn, that's worth discussing, but it damn should be drawn somewhere.

Charleston Heston, or however you spell his name, should have stayed in show business; he didn't know jack squat about the Constitution. I liked him as an actor, but he was an embarrassment to his cause in the Bowling for Columbine movie.

My favorite movie of his was "The Omega Man". Maybe it appealed to me as a young man in search of Armageddon!

• JeffT
    JeffT

Katiekitten and Rapunzel: if you want to be taken seriously learn something about the subject before you start spewing blind prejudice - and that's what you're comments are. Changing the target of one's ire doesn't alter bigotry.

Read the quote I posted, or better yet read some complete articles about the man.

• BrentR
    BrentR

There are alot of actors and actresses that probably should have stayed in showbusiness also. Does that mean we should spit on thier graves also?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Dawg ...ya got me bro. I dont need a Barrett .50 to shoot 'yotes...nor do I need a German 88 to hunt ducks.

The USSC heard arguments about Washington DC's goofy gun ban... and the anti- side brought out that old saw about what the "founding fathers" had in mind as far as muskets vs Evil Black rifles and such. I thing we will find out what the court says in a few months.

Mike Moore is a shit stirrer of the first order.

Saying Heston should have stuck to acting is like saying Regan should have stayed out of union business and politics. Maybe we need a few more actors ...god knows what lawyers have done for us.

Jeff

• beksbks
    beksbks

Reagan should have stayed out of union business and politics.

The Ten Commandments was a favorite of mine. And of course his incredibly over dramatic performance in Planet of the Apes. I was fortunate to turn on the TV the other night, just in time to see one of my favorite moments. As he's realizing he's on Earth, looking at the sunken Statue of Liberty. "Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it. You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit