What To Say When Someone Says "If U Can Find A Religion That's Better......

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Alpaca, that was informative. And Jesus condemned those that tried to BIND others with heavy loads. Perhaps he was against all "religion".

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I agree with you Minimus!

People were often low on any formal education and yet still getting into paradise - as Jesus said it is within and not in all the expectations placed upon their lives void of love and enjoyment of life.

I think the best religion already exists within each of us!

I would ask a JW to find me a better one than the one given me already!

• M.J.
    M.J.

Problem is, the JWs are predisposed to define "better" BY CRITERIA ESTABLISHED BY THE WTS.

The whole technique here is this: WTS establishes criteria for what is "good", what is "true" as base assumptions in the minds of its followers. THEN, and ONLY THEN, can the WTS trumpet itself as the hands-down winner by all the very same criteria it made up in the first place! The JW who says "there is nothing better" is viewing things from within the framework built by the org, so of course the org will come out on top!

I had another point but I lost it...more later.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I would say, "why do we need religion in the first place?" and "what religion is god?"

• M.J.
    M.J.

...oh yeah.

I have NO problem with a JW touting the JW organization as the very best in the world. Or saying that there is none that is "better".

I would agree that the WTS is quite a top-notch organization as far as organizations go. Very impressive.

But there is quite a leap between claiming your organization is "the best there is" and

"It is God's organization"

and

"It speaks for God"

and

"If you're not in it or won't ever join, you hate God, and God hates you."

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Jesus condemned those that tried to BIND others with heavy loads.

This is why I make a difference between the set of beliefs which JWs are proponents of, and that, IMO, can understandably appeal to some people, who are not all ignorants or easily influenced, and an organization which nobody can deny is stifling to the freedom lover and independent thinker. I agree that trying to keep balance between those two opposite opinions is quite awkward, I suppose it's part of some people's (mine for one) makeup.

the best religion already exists within each of us!

I agree, RC, in that we eventually believe what we want to, but, on the other hand, religion is not only beliefs but also morals. I think that one of the main reasons why some people elect to comply with religious standards, and choose to limit their feedom in doing so, is that they feel the need (I do) to be accountable to a superior authority, so that moral standards will impose themselves to them as originating from that authority, and these people won't be tempted to tailor those standards to suit their varying experiences. That limitation is part of what gives significance to life because it makes humans feel that not all ways of life are equal and that some are "better" (again...) than others.

In addition,religious moral standards provide order in the human society since they are common to the members of a group and these members will be found more predictable in their conduct and, therefore, more reliable. That's why, in the end, JWs engage so often in business within the congregation and also why many will seek marriage partners among JWs although they, themselves may be quite critical toward this religion.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    "If you can find a religion that's better than Jehovah's Witnesses,

NONE---- of them are good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit