How are you keeping it together?

by YoursChelbie 14 Replies latest social current

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Many economists are in agreement that the US economy is in a recession.

MSN had this article highlighting the loss of 80K jobs during the past month: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23953769

So, are you feeling the economy putting extra pressure on your finances?

WHat have you been able to do to keep your finances together?

YC

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I am spending less on not absolutely needed things. And not driving my Tahoe as much. And eating the venison in the freezer rather than buying meat at the store.

momz

• Priest73
    Priest73

Duct tape?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Piece of cake!!!

I started giving God $120 more a month out of my earnings than I was giving 3 months ago.

• Priest73
    Priest73

"I started giving God $120 more a month out of my earnings than I was giving 3 months ago."

Really? I figure if he wants it he'll just take it =-)

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Reminds me of an old joke... A preist, a deacon and a rabbi were talking about donations.

Priest - "We draw a circle on the floor, and throw the donations down. Whatever lands inside the circle goes to the Church, the rest is for me.

Deacon - "We do something similar, but whatever lands inside the circle is for me, the rest is for the Lord's work.

Rabbi - We don't do any circles. Once a week I throw the money up in the air towards heaven. Whatever god wants, he keeps."

Fortunately we aren't in the same level of recession (yet) here in Canada. But it is really a matter of keeping balance during good and bad times. Not getting yourself into a debt load you can't handle. Living according to your means not wants, etc.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I am following the example of Hillary Clinton and investing in Cattle Futures.

Rub a Dub

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I only permit myself the luxury when absolutely desperate which means it stays in position for long enough to complete the transaction!

• choosing life
    choosing life

We are driving less and consolidating necessary trips. Preparing our meals at home rather than eating out makes a big difference too.

I am afraid things are going to get quite a bit tighter before it is all over. I hope everyone remembers those who have less because they can't absorb the constant increases in food and gas.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

My back-up plan was my home equity line of credit. I was using it to make ends meet. However, I received a notice last week that property values have dropped so much that I currently have negative equity of $23K and my line of credit is now suspended. So much for the $75K I used as a downpayment, eh? If I had been renting for the past 3 years, that $75K could have been put into a high interest account, but as of right now...it's gone, baby gone.

Thank goodness that I received my Fed return last week. That will help a little, but not for long. Sweetface may be having to get herself a PT gig when the summer is over.

But does all of this really matter, though? The end is soooooo close that I may just quit my job today and live off of my credit cards during the rest of this system. I just hope that the CEO of Bank of America doesn't make it into the new system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit