Poem from dub friend.

by searchingforfriends 43 Replies latest jw friends

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

That is some disgusting cult stuff right there.

She married a non-JW so obiously he ended up abusing her. Much more likely to happen inside the organization where the women aren't allowed to go to the authorities.

• searchingforfriends
    searchingforfriends

Thanks you for all of your comments. I did reply:

"That’s a sad poem. It strikes a nerve for me because of what I have personally been through. I think we should keep in mind that those things can happen regardless of who you marry. For example I married a brother that according to his entire elder body is in good standing (I spoke to them when we were dating) and you probably wouldn’t believe everything that happened to me even if I told you. In fact he is still in good standing. My point is, that this type of very bad situation can happen to anybody, and the only way to even try to prevent it is to really know who you are getting married to and not to just think you know them and even then you may end up in a bad situation through no fault of your own. That being said I also don’t think it would be right to go through life being afraid that every person we meet is going to give us AIDS or beat us. I much prefer the messages of hope to the ones of fear. I am done living in fear."

I don't think she got the point though, cause her response was something like:

" The possibilities of our marriage mate having a STD, not taking care of their family, hurting their mate, etc. are greatly reduced when you get involved with someone who loves Jehovah and his principles and honesty & earnestly practices those things in their life."

• west123
    west123

so I suppose I should feel this way about my father who is "worldly". Because for twenty years he stuck by my mother and took care of her...how can they generalize like this...its so upsetting I read this and I was furious. My father is nothing like this, and most other "worldly" men I know aren't either....grr

• Jenlet
    Jenlet

Not to belabour the point too much, but I think it is worth repeating your friend's assumption back to her.

Assumption

The probability of marrying a man who

- has a sexually transmitted disease

- will not live up to his family responsibilities

- will hurt and abuse his mate

is lower if the man is a Jehovah's Witness compared to if the man is not a Jehovah's Witness.

The question I have for your friend is this. What scientific evidence does she have that this assumption is true? I'm asking for statistics. Quotes from the Watchtower don't count. Gut feelings don't count.

I think these gross generalizations come from a broader desire of individual JWs to somehow justify their religion, when they know it doesn't make sense doctrinally. As in, "Well, even it it's wrong, it's a good way to live, it keeps us safe". But does it really do that? Are they really better off as JWs? What do they really know about people who are not Jehovah's Witnesses?

• Open mind
    Open mind

JW men in good standing are generally immune from HIV.

In the rare instance that they do contract HIV, they can cure themselves by having sex with a virgin.

(I'm in a strange mood today.)

OM

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

One of the things I discovered when I faded out of the org. was how MANY JW men were living double lives and had girlfriends on the side. I was shocked at the time, as I still had the idea JWs were somehow better people than the rest of the world. Now I realize they are no different, and no more or less likely to be good marriage material than non-believers. They can be real hypocrites about it all, though. Actually, with the headship principle, they are more likely to be overbearing domineering controlling husbands because the WTS encourages them to think of women as secondrate.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

What a load of horseshite! I was married to an ELDER for gawd's sake and couldn't get him to freaking work more than fifteen hours a week! The other brother's loved it because he was always available to be "blessed" with extra assignments (do all the talks and crap jobs they didn't want) and he was such a stupid git it totally flattered his ego! My marriage ENDED because of being married to a "brother!"

brunn

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc
    The title of this should be What if Dr. Seuss wrote My Book of Bible Stories

This is the book for the asshole that wrote that piece of garbage.

• defective light
    defective light

Wow ! I would love to use this poem as WATCHTOWER......toilet paper ! ---defective

• berylblue
    berylblue

As far as form, the person who wrote that had better not quit his day job. Oh, my bad - he/she couldn't get a good one, having dropped out of school to pioneer and all that.

As far as subject, I have one word: PATHETIC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit