I've had enough, I am going to QUIT!!!

by nomoreguilt 27 Replies latest jw friends

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

I had picked up smoking back 7 years ago when my divorced started and now the time has come for me to give it up. So, I have picked a target date, a goal mind you. Tomorrow , April the 4th is my birthday. I will begin taking the prescription drug Chantix. When you first start taking it you still have the urge to smoke, but only for a week or less. Then , you continue taking it for some extended period and it works.

So, wish me luck friends. After all, I do have to give myself something for my birthday, and what a better gift than better health.

NMG

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Congrats, NMG, let us all know how the drug works for you and all. Inquiring minds wanna know.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Happy Birthday and good luck with quitting the smoking.

lisa

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

I have tried on a couple of occasions and then some stressor comes into my life and POOF! There goes that attempt. I only seem to get more addicted to it as each stressor hits. I enjoy smoking, mind you, but there are so many things that make it a nasty habit.

My wife tells me that I reek, which is true. It doesn't look good in the professional aspect of my work and it's costly. I am in great health, and I have never had any basic health issues. So, I'll give it another whirl. Thank you all for your support.

NMG

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

good luck to you!!! Also just try keep your hands busy.

• BFD
    BFD

What a great idea, nmg. I am going to think about that myself. It would be the perfect Birthday present.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! TO US!!!!!!!

BFD

• chickpea
    chickpea

i learned this about smoking cessation..... quitting is easy!!!

it is the not starting again that is the real challenge......

there was a "guru" kinda guy that came to this area and a lot of people wer taking his classes ( he was the real deal..... saffron robed east indian man with an elegantly gentle demeanour)

his advice: dont "quit" smoking.... be mindful of every cigarette you smoke..... be mindful of taking it from the pack, the striking of the match, the smoke as you light it..... be mindful of each breath in, the heat of the smoke in your lungs, the swirl of the smoke as you exhale, the smoke in relation to anyone near you, notice the glow of the ember, the sound as you crush out a finished cigarette, the contents of the ashtray

he said if you do that for every cigarette you smoke, you will never quit smoking cigarettes, but cigarettes will quit you.........

yeah... i know.... what the hell does that mean?

good luck and dont quit trying to quit!!!

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

chickpea....The points you make are very resounding to me. Each and every one of them has come to my mind. The very thought of the warm smoke swirling in my lungs is one in point. Ihave observed each of these on many occasions and it has only served to re-inforce my desire to QUIT!!

I suppose I could keep a running daily post on my progress, but then again, who woud care? Ya think. Ya, some body cares, my friends here on JWD and those around me that love me abd are concerned about my health and well being.

Oh HEY BFD!! Yup, tomorrow is our day. Early HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU TOO!!!

Isn't it a wonderful tthing to hear someone wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY??!!

NMG

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Really glad you're quitting smoking. I was worried for a moment--thought you were going to quit this board.

Bonnie

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Very good birthday present. I picked up the nasty habit last winter. But damn it, I love smoking. I need to quit, I know. You have inspired me. Maybe for my b-day present next year!

momz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit