Why don't they encourage education?

by reficul 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I never understood it until I finally made it to college. You are taught to question everything, including the professor.

-Can you imagine approaching the TMS servant and asking for a better grade on your talk? Ha ha!-

Once you learn the appropriate way to learn and mentally grow, it is nearly impossible to go back to the "answer straight from the paragraph, in your own words from the paragraph" way of 'learning.'

Good luck on your university goals, have a great time. I definitely am at 28 in a liberal arts, religiously affiliated college in my home town. My parents are soooo proud!

A

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

They are diametrically opposed to freedom of thought, of belief in ones' self, and of honest inquiry as a means of gaining understanding of the world. Everything they stand for is opposite of what higher education IS.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Hi,

I am in my 3rd and last semester of college, studying online at www.cuny.edu/online... check it out... You can take CLEP tests and get out of years of college. For all the indoctrination, some of the WTS stuff will help you in CLEP tests, so you can save time and money (i.e. on Western Civilization or Analyzing Literature - which xJWs seem to relish!) .

College is part of what helped open my eyes. The doubt came from when I went through Gilead 5 years ago (yeah I'm grinning stupidly in one of them Watchtowers).... But the critical thinking and the great worldly association ( i have an atheist and a fellow JW in some of my online classes... the atheist made much more sense the the dub, haha...)...

So maybe you can catch up... I'll be graduating in 2 months having started college March 0f 2007...

AiG

• Open mind
    Open mind

Welcome to the board!

I'll bet the dyslexics around here will particularly like your username.

OM

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

College is about questioning, it's about rejecting your traditional authority, it's a growth period. Part of the reason the college professors are ultra liberal, they make you think. A JW entering college? Why? They already have the most valuable information, or so they think. Plus, the JWs always say that those without material goods better take to the Truth. Go to college, and you'll learn more & earn more. Pretty soon, you won't need the Truth.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Some of my professors ask questions and then wait for a response. Then they say there is no correct answer.

Very unlike the WTS. Only one correct answer (which can change at any time).

Online courses are the best! They are just like this discussion board... Check out www.cuny.edu/online

Only $2k a semester!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit