Why don't they encourage education?

by reficul 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

Hey, I'm surprised they even suggest education beyond the 8th Grade.

Everyone else has already answered your question, but to put it bluntly, they don't want you to get too smart and risk further exposure to "the world." Plus there's very little time left to do anything but witnessing, etc. etc.

It took me ten years to get my college degree -- we mixed in some "life experiences" in that time frame, which is why it took so long -- but aside from the birth of my kids nothing has ever made me prouder.

--P

• llbh
    llbh

They hate educattion because they want to contol your mind

I began a degree when i was 35 and graduated when was 40, i really enjoyed and gained a great deal of self esteem

I wish you well in what you do it will be worth it in many ways

Regards

David

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hullo hullo - the JWs don't want to encourage any outside influence on the mind control they have. If you have to start thinking for yourself you'll discover what they been saying is bollocks. Plus they still believe armegeddon is JUST around the corner, you don't want to wate your life studying something you won't need when you could be saving lives. aaaaaahh

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Don't forget the scriptural reasons for their anti-college teachings ...

1 Corinthians 1:20-25

20 Where is the wise man? Where the scribe? Where the debater of this system of things? Did not God make the wisdom of the world foolish? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not get to know God, God saw good through the foolishness of what is preached to save those believing.

22 For both the Jews ask for signs and the Greeks look for wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ impaled, to the Jews a cause for stumbling but to the nations foolishness; 24 however, to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because a foolish thing of God is wiser than men, and a weak thing of God is stronger than men.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

A religion like Christianity, which does not have contact with reality at any point, which crumbles as soon as reality is conceded its rights at even a single point, must naturally be mortally hostile toward the “wisdom of this world,” which means science. It will applaud all means with which the discipline of the spirit, purity and severity in the spirit’s matters of conscience, the noble coolness and freedom of the spirit, can be poisoned, slandered, brought into disrepute. “Faith” as an imperative is the veto against science—in practice, the lie at any price.

Paul comprehended that the lie—that “faith"—was needed; later the church in turn comprehended Paul. The “God” whom Paul invented, a god who “ruins the wisdom of the world” (in particular, philology and medicine, the two great adversaries of all superstition), is in truth merely Paul’s own resolute determination to do this: to give the name of “God” to one’s own will, torah, that is thoroughly Jewish. Paul wants to ruin the “wisdom of the world”: his enemies are the good philologists and physicians with Alexandrian training—it is they against whom he wages war. Indeed, one cannot be a philologist or physician without at the same time being an anti-Christian. For as a philologist one sees behind the “holy books"; as a physician, behind the physiological depravity of the typical Christian. The physician says “incurable"; the philologist, “swindle.” – Friedrich Nietzsche, The Antichrist, section 47.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Moral: science is the forbidden as such - it alone is forbidden. Science is the first sin, the seed of all sin, the original sin. This alone is morality: "Thou shalt not know" - the rest follows.
    "Faith" means not wanting to know what is true.
  • Gayle
    Gayle

It's only selfishness and/or mental illness to prevent your child from advancing or excelling. Their children suffer the most. I hope it's true that 8 out of 10 JW children leave that damaging cult.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They pulled that stunt back in 1969, telling people that going to college is a waste of 4-8 years that could be used to pioneer before 1975. They were telling people that this system would be all gone before they graduated, and they would be better off just going out full time in field circus. And now those people are getting close to retirement age, with no retirement savings.

Effectively, if you go to college, they are going to lose you for 4-8 years. And, with their scramble to keep on top of the money supply (so they can have enough after defending their pedophiles to mess with our governments and create another Dark Ages, of which they need people uneducated to maintain), they cannot afford to lose you for that amount of time. If you pioneer now, they will get that money now instead of in another 4-8 years. Besides, they are desperately trying to reach 7 million, and if people go to college, they might go irregular and stop them from doing that.

And, if they do not like college, they are going to hate the "secret society" I joined. Not only do they allow independent thinking, they actively encourage it. They want people to become more independent of our leaders and do their own thinking (and I don't think any damaging cult could survive that--hence it is quite safe). Already I have seen at least 4 other former witlesses leave the witlesses for that "secret society", and many more are likely to join once they become widespread. Independent thinking and becoming independent of leaders is a good thing--unless your name is Ted Jaracz or Garett Losch.

• notyetx
    notyetx

It does make you wonder why they do not simply ban high school as well as college. After all, since it is "high" school, isn't it "higher education" also?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Welcome, reficul. They discourage college because of courses like THIS:

http://www.athabascau.ca/html/syllabi/phil/phil252.htm

Technical colleges, though they will offer the same tempations as the places of "higher learning", at least won't teach it's students to think critically.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit