What do you think of todays youth?

by dawg 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dawg
    dawg

As many of you know, I live in a college town and therefore I'm around people much younger than me almost all day. Here's one thing I've noticed, the youth today have left the God of the Bible behind. They have been brought up in a world where information is available at a very rapid rate and have already figured out the biblical God is a fairy tale.

The ones that have been raised in privileged situations have a very hard time seeing anything other than their own feelings, but they are the ones most likely to be believers in the Biblical God also. These statements aren't scientific, they're just observations, I haven't met a person that takes the Bible seriously around Athens in a long time.

I've noticed their friendships are very shallow,my friends (other than the JWs who I'm glad I don't see any more) have been my friends for years... The youths seems to be preoccupied with their I-pods more than talking. What do you guys think?

• Open mind
    Open mind

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
    authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer
    rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents,
    chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their
    legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

Too bad we can't have youth like they had in ancient Greece.

OM

• dawg
    dawg

where's that quote from?... very funny!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are victims of our culture. School lacks stimulation. They get medication instead of stimulating learning. Their lessons are disjointed and lack anything of substance. They are pushed to study rote facts for standardized tests, but prohibited from integrating them into bigger puzzle pieces. They are not allowed to work at value creating jobs (because of the minor laws and the regulations preventing business upstarts from competing with shoddy established businesses).

And that is why they need kicks. Discipline problems start from not having fully integrated learning, and get worse when children are punished for that or drugged up. From there, they progress to criminal behavior, drug abuse, or the everpresent iPod and cell phones. They usually become crappy workers, since they have not learned to integrate anything. Too many end up on Welfare, and spend too much time watching soaps instead of using their minds for what they were meant for (that is, learning in integrated fashion).

Then, too many of them fall victim to cults that waste their time on busywork, promote even worse stagnation, and/or keep their members in a Second Dark Ages.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Sorry, Dawg, it sounds like a bunch of Old Man talk to me.

• dawg
    dawg

WT Wizard.

Yea, I've noticed almost all of them are on that ADD drug, what ever they call it.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Most are smarter than we were at their age.

Some seem a bit lazy but that's due to the conveniences available to them.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

The quote that Open Mind cites was attributed to Socrates by Plato. Socrates was born four and a half centuries before Christ. As the Bible says, there is nothing new under the sun. I would not be surprised if the Neanderthal people expressed similar laments about the "kids nowadays." I can just hear them: "Today's youth are spoiled by modern technology. Nowadays, it seems that every kid is clamoring for fire - 'Daddy, make me a fire! Mommy, cook my meat on the fire!' When I was a kid, we ate our meat raw - right off the bones. And, I'll tell you, we were damn happy to have it! When I was a kid, it was the meat that got spoiled rotten. Nowadays, it's the kids who are spoiled!"

• snowbird
    snowbird

They're all snotty little blisters that I can't stand! Just kidding.

They're no different from kids of other generations in their need for unconditional love, unflagging support, and uncompromising guidance.

Sylvia

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

I am also around a number of younger people where I work
    and in the board gaming group I am active in.

I agree that the Bible does not appear to influence their
    life very much. I doubt that many of them have done much
    Bible study or research.

However, there is a desire to be moral. I think kids still
    have a sense of justice and fairness. They tend to have
    small groups of friends with similar interests.

Younger people in general have had more patience with my
    illness than those closer to my own age.

By politicizing the Bible the extreme right have made a
    critical error. Now the youth associate religion closely
    with politics or "the establishment", which in general
    they do not trust.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit