Why Jesus didnt address the Father as Jehovah?

by Tino 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Tino
    Tino

Since the Jehovah Witnesses claim that God must always be referred to Jehovah and the fact that others don't do this proves Jehovah's Witnesses are the only true church, why is God not always identified as Jehovah in the bible? Why did Jesus not address the Father as Jehovah?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Most likely, because Jesus was teaching in parables. The Father was nothing more than a tool to free people from internal bicameral thinking and external authority. Unfortunately, Paul mistook it literally and created the illusion that God was someone that could be reliably trusted (which, in my experience, is only good for holding me open for that Value Destroyer Training School even though I blatantly do not want to go there).

Thus, there would have been no reason for Jesus to address the Father as Jehovah.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Since the Jehovah Witnesses claim that God must always be referred to Jehovah and the fact that others don't do this proves Jehovah's Witnesses are the only true church, why is God not always identified as Jehovah in the bible? Why did Jesus not address the Father as Jehovah?

According to JW theology, Jesus was an apostate and the gospels are apostate material that should be thrown out.

Burn

• shell69
    shell69

where's my god?

shell

• potleg
    potleg

He didn't call him Jehovah because he was't a Jehovahs Whitless. And anyway, Jesus" pals didn't even call Jesus - Jesus, instead they used some ancient Hebrew monica that I'm not even going to try and pronounce. (I wonder if JC had a nickname when he was a kid?)

But getting back to the Jehovah / Father thingy....

I know my old dad would be pi**ed of if I started calling him Sid. I think he'd say something like..."Have more bloody respect for your old man." And maybe it's the same with Jesus... calling Jehovah, Jehovah might just get him a thick ear.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Is it possible that Jesus was not promoting the old concept of 'Jehovah of Armies', who 'exacts punishment on sons for the sins of fathers', is a jealous god, a vengeful god who egotistically defends he "name" by violently punishing all who do not honor him? Jesus was a mystic, a teacher of higher consciousness, eastern philosophy, which even he had a difficulty selling to the Jewish mythological level of consciousness. Not only did he never use the "name" of the old concept of god but promoted a concept of god who was not vindictive, demanding, jealous or violent. He referred to his concept of god as a loving father. He promoted LOVE, thus the mythic 10 commandments (ans the other 600+ laws) dissolved down to 2, both about LOVE. "God is Love" his otherwise inept followers conclude. Jehovah's Witness's exemplify the world of religious fanatics who cannot break beyond the mythic level and grasp the revolutionary message. They cast his spiritual message into a literalist mold in which they find security and power as the caretakers of truth. They miss the opportunity to grow in consciousness, to 'enter' and all those who listen to them likewise are not 'allowed to enter'. Most here can relate to this tragedy. Most no longer seek higher consciousness. The only hope left for many is the physical reality. We are surely here to experience this physical reality, but it is a shame many have allowed the WT and Christendom to rob them of the true message of a great Aramaic speaking Jew who had the insight of Einstein, the humility of Gandhi and the self sacrificing love of Buddha. Steve

• Chalam
    Chalam

"Why Jesus didnt address the Father as Jehovah?"

Because he wasn't a Jehovah's Witness.

No surprise that Jesus said that His disciples would be witnesses to Him, no mention of "Jehovah". See what Jesus says before He went back to heaven.

Acts 1:8 (New International Version) But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

So it looks like disciples of Jesus aren't Jehovah's Witnesses either.

Still not sure?

John 15:26 (New International Version)

"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me."

So the Holy Spirit will also be a witness to Jesus. Looks like He isn't a Jehovah's Witness either.

So why do JWs want to tell you about Jehovah, Armageddon and the 144 000 and not Jesus? Simple.

John 14:6 (New International Version)

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Regards,
    Stephen

• Tino
    Tino

First the word Jehovah came about because the ancient Jews had a superstitious dread of pronouncing the name YHWH for fear they would violate the commandment not to take God's name in vain. To avoid the possibility of breaking this commandment, the Jews sustituted the name "Adonai" (Lord) in its place when ever they read it in scripture. Eventually the scribes inserted the vowels from Adonai within the consonants YHWH and the result was Yahowah, or Jehovah. Jehovah was a man-made term.

Jehovah is not the only name in the bible used to refer to God. Many times in scripture God is referred to as "the God of Abraham, the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob". Because God is referred to by other names in the Old Testament, Exodus 3:15 cannot be taken, as the Jehovah's Witnesses do, to mean that Jehovah is the only name by which God can be addressed.

In the New Testament, Jesus NEVER addressed the Father as Jehovah. If the Watchtower Society is correct that God must always be referred to as Jehovah, then Jesus was way out of line. Jesus began many prayers with, Our Father. We are told as Christians to cry out to our God as " Abba, Father" (Romans 8:15, Galatians 4:6). According to the Greek manuscripts the word Jehovah does not occur a single time in the New Testament.

In addition the word Jehovah is not even a name it is a title that simply means Lord, so Jesus addressing the Father as Jehovah wouldn't be out of line, he would just be calling him Lord. JW's need to understand that Jehovah's (the Lord's) name is Jesus! I think they should obey Acts 4:12 where it says: "There is NO OTHER name in which we are saved!" and thats because there was no other name given but JESUS, provind that the word Jehovah is simply a title or attribute of GOD!

• Robert222
    Robert222

This topic bothered me when i was a kid - let alone when I became an adult. A no JW can explain why Jesus said in the Lords Prayer to say "Father" giving no name for god.

JWs have an entire booklet devoted to spinning the use of Jehovah when there is no support for our day. Jehovah was the god of the Jews, we are now saved through Jesus alone. I thought the more you have to explain something, that is how weak your point is.

The JW annointed believe they are EQUAL TO JESUS, thus using the name Jehovah to address the almighty god. The JWs teach that when the annointed go to heaven, they are ruling with Jesus, not obeying him or beneath him.

It is just plain now that the JWs totally push Jesus aside except for one night per year. Just incredible to me. Then they have the nerve to ignore his resurrection!! There is no special Sunday to celebrate Jesus's resurection, they only have a "special" talk weeks later speaking only of recruitment, that the JWs are the only path to salvation, again ignoring Jesus, using only the name of Jehovah for salvation.

• dinah
    dinah

Burns, I noticed that when I was reading the bible. He was disfellowshipped, but killed literally. He was killed for asking question and pointing out errors. That scripture that says "and they threw him OUT" always comes to mind when I read about people who question. You gotta keep your head down if you wanna stay in with your family.

So now ask yourself, who is that great crowd which no man can number??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit