praying before a meal

by megaflower 47 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

I know who to thank.

I thank my wife profusely for the wonderful meals she puts in front of me... she's the one that did it. I think it would slight and diminish her efforts to take her hand and thank somebody else for her hard work.

• Perry
    Perry

Thanks Mouthy! - God's Family life in Christ is beyond what I could've imagine a few years ago.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    What's is the point of praying before a meal? Who are you praying to?

Who are you praying to????????????????????????????

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

If it's "Lord" or "God", who who does that represent?

Jehovah? - That's only a rough english translation of the divine name of the Old Testament

YHWH? - Do you guess about the vowel sounds and maybe say "Yaweh"?

Jesus? - Who was he praying to in the New Testament?

Are you just praying to a nameless supreme being?

What about the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

Since God knows what you are thinking, can't prayer be just that, thinking, and appreciative thoughts at that? I don't say prayers out loud when I am praying by myself because I don't think it's necessary. However, if I were to pray for a group I would speak out loud so that they could hear the sentiments of the prayer and agree if they wish. If you don't break to appreciate He can't even read your heart about it because it may be that you have never taken a moment to consider whether or not you appreciate it. Enjoying something and appreciating it are two different things. I think most people enjoy food but I don't know if all of those appreciate it. Life is better when examined and appreciated and therefore prayer is appreciative contemplation which is for our benefit and not a burdensome ritual we must continually repeat. That's my sentiment at least.

-Appended-

If he is your God and Lord, and you are his spirit begotten son, then he is your Father.
    When I call my dad (in the flesh) on the phone, I don't call him by his name. I call him Dad. He knows me and I know him. I can't imagine calling him and then he says to me "Well, I don't know who you are because you don't use the exact pronunciation of my name." If he gets a call from me, he knows it's me even if I don't say "dad", but I always do. The argument that we need to some how address God by a name in prayer doesn't seem biblical but it does seem sort of legalistic. I don't remember a scripture where Christ Jesus addressed his father by name. But I do remember instances where he not only referred to Him as father, but also told us that we should as well. -Matthew 5:9.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

I still give thanks...in silent prayer for my own food and when the family gathers. It still feels good to give honor and thanks to Jehovah for our food and other material things. After all, He is giver of all good gifts and perfect presents.

BP

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I haven't done this in quite some time. But, however, If my spouses parent's, die hard JW's, are over and he wants to pray I let him but I'm not included. I go ahead and eat and watch TV.

Quirky1

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I'm with hope on this one. I'm not sure who to pray to since my departure from the JW's is very recent, but I pray sometimes, but probably not enough...

AaG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit