praying before a meal

by megaflower 47 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mouthy
    mouthy

Gopher

• Robert7
    Robert7

I agree. When I used to pray before a meal, I would do it intentionally where no one would even know I was praying. I felt it so hypocritical to see those Witnesses bow their heads and get any kind of attention. I didn't care if anyone thought I didn't pray. That being said, this is no longer an issue :)

• NanaR
    NanaR

Yes, I always pray before a meal. I pray out loud if the situation allows it, or I pray silently if circumstance dictates. But my prayers bear little resemblence to the ones I prayed as a JW.

When the Catholic folk that I know get together, someone will start the prayer, and at the end all will pray together the usual blessing before a meal. Frequently, we are all holding hands until the end, when we all make the sign of the Cross together.

At one point in the Mass, the priest says: "Let us give thanks to the Lord our God", and the congregation responds all together "It is right to give Him thanks and praise."

I agree.

Pax,

Ruth

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think of praying before a meal (or, for that matter, before going to bed or upon getting up) a total waste of time. First, it was not Jehovah but science that put that food on the table. And the free market. Jehovah has a history of barging in to derail the free market, and hence deserves no thanks.

It is just another stupid way to sacrifice to a Higher Cause. The time it takes to pray to that Almighty Scumbag could be better spent eating. And then, when you finish that much sooner, it would go toward posting on this forum to get others out of the cancer.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I still do.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I think of praying before a meal (or, for that matter, before going to bed or upon getting up) a total waste of time. First, it was not Jehovah but science that put that food on the table. And the free market. Jehovah has a history of barging in to derail the free market, and hence deserves no thanks.

It is just another stupid way to sacrifice to a Higher Cause. The time it takes to pray to that Almighty Scumbag could be better spent eating. And then, when you finish that much sooner, it would go toward posting on this forum to get others out of the cancer.

I think you have cancer WTWizard.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Not as often as I probably should.

hope4others

• Perry
    Perry

One of my greatest joys is allowing my 22 month old to pray at family meals. He has the gift of gab like his daddy. - Yesterday he said something like Thank you Jesus for the juice, and thank you for my toys, and thank you for the broken moon (this is what he calls a cresent moon), and thank you for church and thank you for Calvin and thank you for the potatoes, and thank you for ........ AMEN - I NOW KNOW HOW MUCH GOD LOVES TO HEAR HIS CHILDREN PRAY.

• Sirona
    Sirona

I don't see god as the god of the bible but...

Its about appreciation. Being grateful.

I don't think its healthy to suggest that just because we can see where the food came from we shouldn't be grateful for it.

Sirona

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

I sort of agree, but who should the appreciation be directed to?

Is it appreciation in the sense of being aware that you have food to eat whereas others may not? If that is the case, do we really need to vocalize the appreciation?

On the other hand, if there is a specific entity (god) out there that can read our minds... discern our emotions and motivations, doesn't he automatically know whether we are grateful or not?

Also, what about people who do not have enough? Should they feel resentful and lodge a complaint with god whenever they get really hungry?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit