Bye-Bye Brooklyn....were OUTTA there! Real Estate news.

by oompa 64 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

When the lights go out on the "READ YOUR BIBLE DAILY" sign the Tower will need a replacement for the farm. My suggestion is, "WHAT HAPPENS ON THE FARM STAYS ON THE FARM."

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    When the lights go out on the "READ YOUR BIBLE DAILY" sign the Tower will need a replacement for the farm. My suggestion is, "WHAT HAPPENS ON THE FARM STAYS ON THE FARM."

What about "THE END IS NEAR" short and sweet. lisa

• blondie
    blondie

I guess my past comment about this is being verified at the Bethel level. Originally, Brooklyn was picked because of the shipping access. Brooklyn NY hasn't been a shipping hub for some time but the WTS had nothing moving them to up and go from the area. With the 9-11 event and the slowdown in the cash flow since 1990, I did say that they would be selling their properties in the Brooklyn area to get the needed cash they need for their annual expenses. I wonder what the congregations in NYC will do without the constant Bethel presence?

Blondie

• flipper
    flipper

My 80 year old JW mom told me about this possible move a month ago - as she had heard about it from my older brother who served in Bethel 8 years from 1967 -1975. Alledgedly he still has connections there. He told my mom that they were moving for " security " reasons due to the terrorist attacks and the close proximity in Brooklyn being near major financial institutions . So they want to " escape " to the country where it's safer. But we all know the main reason is the MONEY of course. It will be interesting to see how many attorneys out there try to get some of that cash by reaming the societie's A$$ ( rightly so ) and follow through on more child abuse lawsuits in the next few years. Betcha we are going to hear about lots more of those settlements in the news again ! Especially when the " mother " organization gets her windfall of millions from selling the properties ! They will be sitting ducks

• oompa
    oompa

Regarding the rooftop sign....it would not surprise me that the sale of the building is contingent on the sign remaining on top (but only until Armageddon)....somebody would still buy it...................oompa

• chikikie
    chikikie

I think the sign should read

'Read the Watchtower daily'

Abit more fitting.

Does this mean when they sell off all the realestate that they think ARMAgeddon is finally here?

• nanax9
    nanax9

Hi All,

Recently, my elderly father told me that their kingdom hall was building a small apartment for a couple from "Bethel". It will only be an efficiency type of an apartment. When I asked who would pay for this, he said tha tthe congregationl would. He said it would cost about $100K to do this. He said their congregation will take out a loan and that it wouldn't take too long to pay it off. I'm assuming that other congregations will also be doing this.

My dad and I got to talking about how these Bethel people were going to be able to make it after having to leave. He said that they got paid while they were up there and that would continue. Last I knew, those folks only got about $20 per month to live on. I suppose he doesn't know that, afterall, he only knows what they tell him.

I can't be too crtical with him, as I don't want to make him uncomfortable. I disassociated myself about 21 years ago. I lost many in my family as most are witnesses.

My mother was diagnosed with alzheimers several years ago. Very recently, I was given permission (officially) to help out. I now can visit and help my parents as much as I want to. I can tell that my dad is thrilled to have me back in their lives. I just wish I could have shared my mother's last years with her when she was well. At this point she knows me but it certainly isn't the mother I knew. I am very greatful to be able to help them at this point. I know that is what God expects of me, and I want to do it.

It is amazing that the brothers told them that I wasn't good enough for all of these years, but now that I'm needed it's OK to be there for them. I love my parent's dearly. They diligently did what they were told. They have been members of their congreation for about 35 years. Hardly anyone comes to visit them. No one even told they about the Memorial. I looked it up online and told my dad. He had no idea. It's pretty sad that an "apostate" daughter had to tell her parents when the Memorial service was. I really didn't care that they go, but I was trying to be kind. I made sure my mom had something appropriate to where. At the last minute my mom refused to leave the house. I guess God didn't want them there!!

Thanks for all of your wonderful post over the years. This place has allowed me to lose the guilt of the "borg" and have a personal relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ!!

NanaX9

• still_in74
    still_in74

Recently, my elderly father told me that their kingdom hall was building a small apartment for a couple from "Bethel". It will only be an efficiency type of an apartment. When I asked who would pay for this, he said tha tthe congregationl would. He said it would cost about $100K to do this.

WTF? A 100K? Why should the cong. be burdened with that expense? They should get their own jobs.

They have been members of their congreation for about 35 years. Hardly anyone comes to visit them.

My grandfather is an elder for decades and said this same thing to me the other day. He had been visiting an old super-pioneer in his 90's shortly before he died recently and noticed that even in the "truth" their are almost no visitors - even family. He watched his wife in a home for years have almost no visitors ever until she died.

It's pretty sad that an "apostate" daughter had to tell her parents when the Memorial service was. I really didn't care that they go, but I was trying to be kind. I made sure my mom had something appropriate to where. At the last minute my mom refused to leave the house.

the fact that you would do this shows that your love is unconditional. If only JW's were the same way... your parents are lucky to have you....

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

nanax9.........WELCOME TO JWD......It's so good to hear from you. You are very welcome here. I won't steal the thread here but I will PM you about alzheimers. So sad......

NMG

• potleg
    potleg

Didn't Jesus tell a rich man to sell all he owned and give the money to the poor?

I don't think the society's motivation is to provide for those with little means.

The Organization is greedy, always asking for more.

Whitewashed Tombs,or as I like to think, crap in a gift box. It may look nice on the outside with pretty pictures and smiling faces but open it up and it stinks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit