Bye-Bye Brooklyn....were OUTTA there! Real Estate news.

by oompa 64 Replies latest jw friends

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't decide to liquidate the Brooklyn properties ten years ago, when the real estate market was white-hot. I thought when 360 Furman was sold several years back the rest would follow rather quickly. I bet they don't get what they would have gotten for it all if they had sold back then. But, still a smart business move for them, IMO....they are sitting on a veritable gold mine there in the Heights...

• startingover
    startingover

Anyone know if there are any tax consequences for someone in their position on such a sale?

• dinah
    dinah

Hmmm, startingover, that's about what I was thinking.

Why are religions tax exempt anyway?? Because of all the "good work" they do? Ya know what would be really funny?? If we found out the borg was donating to the Salvation Army or the United Way to fulfill their charity "requirement".

• oompa
    oompa
    alpaca:

You betchya' !!! The Borg elite at Bethel live like kings and they are able to do it without reporting any personal income. They are no better than the fundie televangelists who do the same thing. They probably have so many layers of fake corporations, trusts, holding companies, and divestitures that Sherlock Holmes would have a hard time tracing the money. If there is one thing the Borg leadership is, it is shrewd and coniving.

I can easily envision the leadership obscuring the wealth and the money to ensure that they continue to live a lavish lifestyle with relative anonymity.

Sorry alpaca, I know for a fact this is not the case. I have seen GB with shiny knees and elbows on their suits, and shoes with new soles on them where there was holes earlier. These guys do NOT live luxuriously, they are simple men.....they are freaking whacked as far as their beliefs.......but sincere to a fault...... and I have seen the fundie TV preachers BEG for money for their air conditioned dog houses and mansions...not a fair comparison IMOP.....oompa

• dinah
    dinah

Hey Oompa,

I've never seen any of our "gods" up close, at least not that I remember. Oh yeah, did see Ray Franz once, he definitely didn't look wealthy.

It just gets to me that they sit on millions in real estate and don't help anyone. The congregations fund the world wide work and they constantly use guilt trips to get more contributions. Couple that with having such a hard line against education, it's lunacy.

• oompa
    oompa

I'm with you dinah. These guys teach frugality to a fault, and then don't spread the wealth to those in need. BTW, I am pretty sure there is absolutely NO finiancial need to move and sell the Brooklyn property, it is just smart. Their holdings are substantial without ANY real estate included.....oompa

• Gayle
    Gayle

The past JW presidents would be rolling over in their graves (or whatever) that they're leaving Brooklyn. In the early 70's, the Brooklyn Heights newspaper had a complaint that JWs were taking over Brooklyn,,at breakfast, Knorr commented that "we're not just taking over Brooklyn, we're taking over the world".

• parakeet
    parakeet

nomoreguilt wrote: "I wonder if they are going to auction off the infamous READ YOUR BIBLE DAILY sign?"

I'll place the first bid -- $1.00 (Note to WTS -- that includes transporting it to my house and setting it up on my front lawn). It'll look great with all my other lawn ornaments -- pink flamingos, garden gnomes. I'll be able to boast having the tackiest lawn in the U.S.

• heathen
    heathen

I wonder if they are going to auction off the infamous READ YOUR BIBLE DAILY sign?---- are you kidding they actually encourage people to read the bible without a WTBTS rep in the room ? Unbelievable

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Hey, that Brooklyn sign would look good out in California, right next to the 'Hollywood' sign!

Outaservice

PS Thanks for using my name....OUTTA...........in the subject title!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit