The end of marriage?

by BurnTheShips 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Burn,

I think a lot of men are dead scared of getting taken for a ride. They get married, the woman stays for a while, divorces and takes all his hard earned crap.

It happens much too often.

SEXIST!

So it's women who run out on men and take all their hard earned crap? What a load of total and utter bullshit!

Firstly, Burn, it may surprise you to hear that WOMEN CAN EARN THEIR OWN MONEY. Some women even earn more than their partners! (as was the case for a number of years with me).

Secondly, men very often leave their wives (frequently for a younger woman) or get discovered cheating. Women do that aswell, but from what you seem to be suggesting its the men who always get the raw deal.

You are talking utter rubbish!

Some women have walked out on their man and took money from him, but some women have been left holding the baby / house / responsibilities whilst their man relives his youth. Some women (like me) were walked out on and left paying the mortgage.

Sirona

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

In societies where marriage is obligatory for sexual intercourse, women suffer more from suppression than in societies where marriage and sexuality are personal decisions.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    SEXIST!

So it's women who run out on men and take all their hard earned crap? What a load of total and utter bullshit!

Firstly, Burn, it may surprise you to hear that WOMEN CAN EARN THEIR OWN MONEY. Some women even earn more than their partners! (as was the case for a number of years with me).

Secondly, men very often leave their wives (frequently for a younger woman) or get discovered cheating. Women do that aswell, but from what you seem to be suggesting its the men who always get the raw deal.

You are talking utter rubbish!

Some women have walked out on their man and took money from him, but some women have been left holding the baby / house / responsibilities whilst their man relives his youth. Some women (like me) were walked out on and left paying the mortgage.

Did I claim exclusivity? Reading a bit too much into my comment? Naughty naughty!! I never said men didn't misbehave.

What I did say that men are reticient to marry because women these days will leave them on trivialities and they have much more to lose legally. Also, since a great many women are giving it up faster than a goat in heat, this is a disincentive as well. Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?

It is indisputabable that the law favors women in custody battles in my own country. I understand it is pretty bad in not so jolly old England either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=532728&in_page_id=1879

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2008/03/04/officer-lincoln-memorial-fathers-4-justice-protester-resisted-arrest-from-smaller-female-officer/

Oh... here's the whole damned thing.

What a very ugly comment and accusation from a very confused woman.

• BFD
    BFD

I'm so glad you're back, Burn.

Pass the popcorn please.

BFD

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Marriage is morally wrong because it has pagan origins.

Henceforth I christen this the Hamilcar meme, I for one plan to milk it. Burn

• beksbks
    beksbks

Wow, chalk one up for the older and sexually active woman here.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I think a lot of men are dead scared of getting taken for a ride. They get married, the woman stays for a while, divorces and takes all his hard earned crap.

Then again, these days women usually work and pay up to half the bills or more. And when they don't they are home raising kids, keeping house, running the kids to all their appointments, doing the parent teacher conferences, etc. and not bringing home a red cent for it. And if you don't live in a community property state? Well, then it might be like my divorce: the woman just might be the one who loses 20 years worth of accumulated belongings and basically gets taken for a ride.

Marriage has its place, I just doubt it's ever going to have a place in my life again. I'm not saying never, but I am saying damned unlikely.

• avishai
    avishai

Ok, so now that there's equality, or more anyway, maybe BOTH sides are afraid of losing their stuff, kids, etc.

>>>>>The precise damage that the collapse in marriage is having on different societies is hard to measure – but we know it cannot be good.<<<<<

""""How do we know that? Wouldn't we only know that it's not good if we could measure the precise damage it's having?""""

I dunno about marriage, per se, but the whole "people don't need to stick around for the kids, seeing them on alternate weekends and holidays is just fine" or "single parents are just as good" And "Men are'nt that important in parenting anyway" or "It's OK to have assloads of kids w/ several different mommies/daddies"

Granted, some of those scenario's are inevitable. But OK? Work at a group home for severely emotionally disturbed kids, and see how many come from standard, nuclear families with two parents (Whether the two parents are straight, gay, transgendered seems to make no difference, just at least two parents.) In the places I've worked? I can only remember ONE kid who was in the group home who had both his original parents. One, out of dozens and dozens.

• avishai
    avishai

PS, good to have you back BTS!!! ((((burntheships))))

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

burn

I keep trying to post on your thread but get an error message

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit