"Bad" songs at JW weddings

by B_Deserter 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The only song I can remember from the numerous jw weddings I have been to is "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEMxYggoKQ

I can't stand the song now

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

This just caused a crazy flashback for me.

I was at a wedding for a JW girl I went to school with. She had a band at the reception. At some point they played "Sex Machine" by James Brown. Crazy funny. Nooooooooobody danced. Classic stuff, really.

Can I get a "what! what!?"

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iUcBvGscpwo

"I'm here to please

I'm even on my knees

making love to whoever I please"

Loverboy's song Turn Me Loose got us slammed more than a few times at parties and weddings. All would be going so well, then my bro or I would slip the cassette into the rotation. That notorious opening bassline would signal the elders' mad scramble to try and stop the cassette from reaching the words I quoted above! LOL

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here in the Upper Midwest, almost every wedding reception had a polka -- except if the bride and groom were of the African-American persuasion. Somehow "Beer Barrel Polka", that ode to drunken good times, often was played, as was the "Too Fat Polka", surely a song disrespectul to women. But the elders never stopped these decadent songs!!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

My wedding-Filter "Hey man, Nice shot"

No kidding

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

LOL. I clicked on this thread thinking you were going to talk about BAD kingdom melodies played at weddings.. How many a bride have walked down the aisle at the kingdom hall to "The shulimite maiden."

I made up my own lyrics. (lord strike me down.)

"The shulimite maiden, so lovely and fair, how like the sand is your wavy brown hair. Were all dressed up now, and looking our best, hey remember that party where I touched your breasts, er I mean chest? Now I'll go to bethel and you'll pop out kids, and we'll both do our part to please the F&DS (pronounced FIDS, hey if they can make the T'wer sound then anything is game..)

Your new hubby's a loner, from some other town. But Your dad got him a job cleaning windows and ground. Excuse me I'm leaving going to drink myself sick, I hope for your sake sweetie he's got a big.........."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD

"Relax"

Oh oh
    Wee-ell-Now!

Relax don't do it
    When you want to go to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    When you want to come

Relax don't do it
    When you want to to go to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to suck to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    Come-oh oh oh

But shoot it in the right direction
    Make making it your intention-ooh yeah
    Live those dreams
    Scheme those schemes
    Got to hit me
    Hit me
    Hit me with those laser beams

I'm coming
    I'm coming-yeah

Relax don't do it
    When you want to go to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come

Relax don't do it
    When you want to suck to it
    Relax don't do it (love)
    When you want to come
    When you want to come
    When you want to come
    Come-huh

Get it up
    The scene of love
    Oh feel it

Relax
    Higher higher

Hey-
    Pray

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am sorry I opened this thread on a FRIDAY. Now I have to listen to AC/DC music today.
    Their stuff is only heavy party music. JW's love to celebrate when they are actually allowed to.
    It shows how repressed they are.

I remember going to a reception deep in the Bible belt. A guy from our cong. married a girl from
    there. The reception played much dance music, but it was clean. The guy's cong. members
    danced, young and old. The girl's cong. members, only the young danced.

It was commented in the speech by the MC when the whole thing concluded that their little girl
    was certainly going to a different culture. The speech was a total downer- good thing it was at
    the end of the whole thing.

I also remember receptions where the groom or the guy in charge (some elder) would be running
    up to the DJ when some "questionable" song started. It was always a hoot.

Here's a link to the AC/DC song in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bomv-6CJSfM&feature=related

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

"Gett Off" by Prince

j/k...I've never been to a jw wedding.

• Casper
    Casper

Music was always heavily suppressed at our weddings, thanks to an uptight PO.

We were allowed some bluegrass, and dancing only consisted of "Square Dancing"... did I mention it's a very hick town....

Sounds like some of you were allowed to actually have a "Good Time"...

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit