God has a plan?!

by *Incubus 12 Replies latest jw friends

• *Incubus
    *Incubus

Something I cant comprehend is when religous types justify terrible things as part of "Gods plan". How does this make sense to anyone?Im just interested in others viewpoints.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Well, even though I could be classified as a 'religious type', I don't think terrible things are 'God's plan'!

A lot of 'religious types' could be classified as 'nuts' along with a lot of athiests and agnostics. Thats just the way it is!

Outaservice

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

So why prosecute criminals? If a guy kills thirty innocent children with a machine gun. That was part of gods plan. So the murderer doesn't bear the blame, he couldn't help it, god made him do it, the murderer was working directly FOR god, to fulfill his plan.

And why pray? God has a plan, and he's stickin to it, whether you pray or not. To quote George Carlin: "It's a divine plan. What's the use of being god if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and muck up your plan?"

Why take safety precautions? If god didn't plan for you to die yet, then you're invincible, and if he did, then no amount of safety steps will save you.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

-This 'plan' that God has often comes into the discussion when it brings up various pains and sufferings throughout mankind's history. Coming down and dying on a cross (or some other interpretation) is just a small part of it. Since God is good, and evidently at the same time allows for all the suffering to happen in the meantime, he must have a bigger plan.

A plan that will - somehow - make it all alright in the end and make up for all the suffering. Not that theists will say the suffering is God's fault - it's just that his plan is so magnificent that it will blow our minds when it's finished, and make us go "Woah! That totally makes up for everything! In fact, all the suffering through history somehow just became totally insignificant!"

-Until it's finished though, you shouldn't ask critical questions about it, because we mere humans are incapable of grasping it. And besides, who are we to ask about it; we're clay in the potters hand.

So basically, we can finish the discussion real fast this way. "Hey, what about all the suffering?" - - "God has a plan; don't ask.". The end.

(sorry - my next reply will be more pro-theism. )

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

It's hard to argue with fatalism.

• *Incubus
    *Incubus

The reason it came up is because this brilliant woman I work with decided to insist on discussing a news story where a guy microwaved his baby.I had asked her repeatedly not to talk about it because Im extremely sensitive to child abuse and it makes me physically ill.She tried to explain to me that its ok because God will take care of it.

I hope that it makes the baby feel better was my reply.

Then she preached that God works in mysterious ways blah,blah,blah.One of his mysterious works is miscarriages,she says.God knows that there is something wrong with the baby so he takes it early.

Its so illogical to me..

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    How does this make sense to anyone?

The existence of wickedness is the most difficult part in explaining the existence of God, and no religion has a completely satisfactory answer. At times like this the Gnostic view seems more logical; that God is actually evil.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That was the number one reason I stopped praying. If I pray for God's name to be sanctified, His Tyranny and Dark Ages to come, and His nefarious will to happen on earth, He is going to answer it and do it. However, He would not need my prayers to start doing what He was already going to do.

On the other hand, if I ask for my personal needs, He is not going to budge no matter how much I ask. And the system is an endless round of civil requests that would only be ignored. Pretty much like doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome this time. Which, to me, is a total waste of time. Plus, why reward that Almighty Pig for not answering my prayers?

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Ya right, I can see the Almighty up there or wherever He is plotting all the kids dying of a lack of blood or getting cornho**d by some freak because it fits perfectly into His plan......Just evil shitasses trying to justify their booshit.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I used to read my bible all the time. I read it 5 times cover to cover and made notes. I found a predominate theme. That theme is everything is predistined. God knows the begining from the end the alpha and the omega. We are all actors playing or acting out the parts in his play. Thats the message I got from reading the bible cover to cover. The Christian religion known as Calvinism believes in predestination. As I say thats the message I got out of the bible. I dont read my bible any more. There were other things I found in it not to be true. Predestination is the message of the bible. But most bible thumpers I encountered denied it. Maybe they deny it because there is another message in the bible. That message is if you want something pray for it and your loving father will grant your wish. You can test that message for yourself to see if its true. The bible has a lot of messages and a lot of themes. The God of the bible appears to be a wild and crazy guy. Just look at his world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit