By what age can a child be indoctrinated?

by jwfacts 38 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open
    After the meeting all adults were to ask the kids what their plans were, and all kids were supposed to respond "pioneer". Talk about brainwashing and indoctrination!

Wow. I don't think that would happen nowadays in the UK, and if it did a lot parents would feel uncomfortable. At least mine would, even though they were more or less born in themselves.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    If you were born in, you're first sentence was probably "I love Jehovah" which is sick.

Where I come from, it's very common for parents to ask their child in the presence of other dubs: "where is Jehovah?" and then react in awe as the 2 year old points to the sky.

The indoctrination starts to work at a very young age.

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi guys just too clear something my sister said

Child abuse is about right. my sister becky (renaii) on here, was taught alot of JWs beliefs from my nanna, and as a result becky became quite obsessed with the notion of dying at a very young age

This is not totally accurate even though my nanna was a witness she also had a lot of mental issues as well as being married to an abusive husband (she had a number of occasions been put into a mental institute) she was obsessed by death and fear of dying, I look back now and feel great pity for her,

I have to ask the op of this thread if based on this thread he would limit the childrens access to their grandparents?

Because it's threads like these that make me realise the shunning thing goes both ways.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have to ask the op of this thread if based on this thread he would limit the childrens access to their grandparents?

Because it's threads like these that make me realise the shunning thing goes both ways.

Hi Reniaa, good question. My mother has said she does not want to get close to her grandchild in case I then stop her from seeing him. Disfellowshipping and shunning is one of the worst aspects of the Watchtower Society and I have said that I would never do such a thing, as for me to impose such a thing would make me as bad as the religion I was raised in.

However, I do need to keep the well being of my child foremost, so would not let her take him to a meeting and would not be comfortable him sleeping at their house. One day I may be able to trust they could respect my wishes and not impose their religious beliefs on him, but not yet.

• carla
    carla

Most ex jw's will allow grandparents to see the children if they will abide by set boundries of the parents. It's when jw's refuse to respect the parents wishes that grandparents visitiations may be stopped. Others allow the grandparents to visit in their home only and never leave the child alone with a jw. That would be my advice, never, ever leave an innocent child alone with a jw. The emotional, spiritual, and mental well being of the child should always come first. And of course physical well being (I have seen stories of ex jw's who wonder if they should allow their parent/step parent who sexually abused them as a child see their children and I wonder what the hell could they be thinking to even ask?)

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I believe that there have been many studies done that confirm that the age of reasoning, the time when a childs natural ability to reason, becomes meshed by the ages of 9-12. Indoctrination up to that point, if a child is surrounded only by those promoting the same doctrination aka brainwashing, pretty well ensures that the child will be fully brainwashed by the age of 9. In families where there is no outside activity or influence, often home schooling as well, the ability to reason or think independently, is removed because fear, guilt and punishment-the requirement to conform, results in the child believing that to question is bad but to obey is good. That is why a child raised in a cult, despite what people so glibly say 'they can just leave, no one forces them to stay' - has so many mental and emotional issues. A child able to use his critical thinking during the formative years, is much more likely to be able to move away from the issues and view them rationally but a child who has had that ability quashed has many more problems as an adult.

I believe that the WTBTS is dangerous in that it promotes and demands obeyance from birth and since the organization believes only those who live as they direct, are true followers, subjecting any child to a witness is to me dangerous. The child does not understand that their value to their family is only in relation to their religious beliefs and it can become more and more confusing to try and explain to them as they get older and in many cases painful. sammieswife.

• d
    d

This is true children believe anything at a young age and should be taught to question.To me everything now a days is just one big lie.

http://youtu.be/NoadP9M50WEto

• simon17
    simon17

Children start being indoctrinated from the moment they arrive. They are constantly percieving and learning from their environment. What actions cause various responses. What actions cause a smile. What actions cause a slap on the behind. What actions cause someone to look at them. How mommy and daddy view members of a different race. What situations seem stressful. Then when they can understand language, they are constantly learning from their parents, teachers, playmates, siblings of how to act. Most of this, of course, is very good. But if you start putting dangerous messages in front of them, they'll soak that up to.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Even very young children start picking up the connotations of certain words. Really, from the moment they're born but especially when they're developing their sensory perceptions and language they learn how things start relating and if either parent is using strong enough wording (emotionally) even babies can recoil at use of those words. I think language development starts around 2-3 months of age and by age 1 they should understand specific simple words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit