By what age can a child be indoctrinated?

by jwfacts 38 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

My step daughter went to the memorial, which is her first meeting in many months. A 7 year old girl came up to her and asked if she is baptised and when will she get baptised.

My sister has a 4 year old daughter. When she was introduced to another 4 year old one question she asked was "does he love Jehovah."

Do these types of comments indicate that they are already indoctrinated? Is there a comprehension of what they are asking? By what age is the indoctrination likely to leave a life long mark?

I have a one month old, and want him to be close to his grandparents, but wonder what is going to be a safe amount of time and regularity knowing that they will not be able to refrain from discussing their views of God and life.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

My parents thought it was cute when I told the next door neighbor at 3 that Jehovah's doesn't love smokers.

They were a little embarrassed when I asked the same neighbor for a drink of his beer, and told him my dad gets drunk all the time.

lisa

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

The question is unanswerable!

Cumulatively, if that 4 yr old were immersed in a different culture right now, then with time the 4 yr old would likely fade away into whatever range of belief the other culture posited!

However since the belief system around the 4 yr old will intensify with the years and further expectation and presentation as fact, of conjecture, takes place, the individual will have parts of their psychology believing things they never otherwise would!

This is true of all belief systems to some extent or another!

The carniverous ethos of JW belief is in how it demands lifelong subservience and shunning of ones who decide on a path of their own!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Interesting Lisa, it seems to show that at that age you are parroting what you hear and see, rather than having a specific belief as such.

if that 4 yr old were immersed in a different culture right now, then with time the 4 yr old would likely fade away

R. This really identifies the critical issue, at what point will a child removed from their culture have it ingrained so deeply that it does not fade away. Anyone at any age can leave the WTS. But with myself as an example, I left at 35 and have beliefs that are significantly different to that of my upbringing, yet if feel indelibly stained with opinions, thoughts and beliefs that are a result of my Watchtower upbringing. There have been stories on JWD of people that left mid teens that a decade later still feel their upbringing is having a negative affect on their life. Beyond what age is there going to be strong memories and opinions that are set for life?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I was peering over the table intently, taking in every 'spiritual morsel', at the age of 4. I recall believing it was the 'truth' at that point - though I certainly had nothing with which to make comparison. I was not 'born in' either - Mom had just begun to study at that point. I practically memorized all the WT artwork, since I could not read, and I often answered questions in the study.

I am sure it is a matter of personality. But mine drew me hard and fast to the teachings. I recall 'knowing' that it was wrong to attend another church, that Jehovah was God's name, and that only by being a good JW could one actually gain life forever.

I believe what is said about children when they are likened to a blank slate or a dry sponge. Very limited exposure to something that begins to fill in the voids, will have a major impact.

In my case - though my mother was basically an inactive, non-attender, beginning right after baptism for her [when I was 5] . When we moved to California at the age of 8, I daydreamed that we were moving to a place that likely lacked a Kingdom Hall, and imagined myself finding a way to get one built there. Though it was discussed at home very little - I self-restricted myself from anything 'worldly' at school - celebrations, flag salute, school activities. One of my favorite pastimes as a child, was to gather up all the old Watchtower and Awake magazines, hole punch them, and make my own 'bound volumes'. I recall at the age of maybe 9, telling my mother that I would not eat the meat she had just prepared for me, because it had blood running out on the plate. By the time I was 14, though I had likely attended fewer than 30 meetings in my life, I had become so eager to 'serve Jehovah', so hungry for it, that I rode my bicycle 9 miles to the Kingdom Hall one Sunday, alone, down back roads, then back home again.

All that - and my exposure following my mother's baptism was just old WT literature laying around the house and an occasional visit from Witnesses to try and activate Mom, and maybe those 20 or 30 meetings. And Mom's occasional 'reminders' about Jehovah in conversation.

Years later, one of the elders who studied with my Mom, said he recalls that I was the one he was sure would become the Witness in the family. He could see it in my eyes when we talked about the 'truth' when I was 5 or 6.

That early exposure made me into a 'little Witness' even though I got virtually no encouragement in that direction for years following. My case may not be typical - but something to think about.

Jeff

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

We know how intravenous JW psychology is so that other systems of support are switched off!

That is why I gave the example of removal and immersion in a different culture!

I can think of no way of successfully detoxifying the holistic effects of being in a JW family and attempting a different lifestyle, unless that family makes widespread concessions beyond those insisted upon by the WTS!

• dinah
    dinah

My grandmother once said that I told her she needed to be going to meetings so she wouldn't die. I'm thinking she said I was around four or five. Can you imagine a child that young having those kind of thoughts about their own grandmother?

If a child is NOT indoctrinated by the age of four, the congregation will assume the parents aren't living up to their responsibilities. How many of us can remember being "encouraged" to comment as soon as we learned to talk?

• dinah
    dinah

Just noticed this was under "child abuse". How appropriate.

• chikikie
    chikikie

I left the JWs when my daughter was 4 and 3/4 and she barely remembers anything, so I reckon, if you get em out before 5 I think you can reverse some of the damage.

Quite frankly how much does anyone remember before 5 anyway.

Child abuse is about right. my sister becky (renaii) on here, was taught alot of JWs beliefs from my nanna, and as a result becky became quite obsessed with the notion of dying at a very young age, it really isnt a little child needs to think about, I must admit, i felt sorry for samuel in the bible, having your life given away before your even born, children dont belong to anyone, you are blessed just to be able to love them and bring them up responsibly.

Anyway my eldest is nearly 13 and no ill effects!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Jesuit maxim "Give me a child for for his first seven years andI'll give you the man"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit