March BOE Financial Letter?

by yknot 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yknot
    yknot

I received an email from a sister-undercover -apostate saying someone had posted on her anti-JW group that there was a BOE Dated March 1, 2008 about local KH financial accounts and the WTS.

My fading doesn't always let me log-on much and I couldn't find anything under "BOE Letter" with last month search tool. Has this been discussed? I stopped by the KH today and checked the board and we had nothing posted (not really expecting to see it posted either).

Here is the cut/paste of her email to me:

Sweetie have you heard any of the DBs discussing this at the hall? After all the hub-bub about govs confiscating WTS loot at the zones and they want all to give over to the society? Seems like bait and switch. Like they say 'don't let the left hand know what the right hand is doin' " Anyways here is what was posted (below).

Unfortunately I don't have a working scanner, but here is a summary of & a few quotations from a BOE letter dated March 1, 2008:

"For an number of years, an arrangement has been available to congregations to place funds on deposit with the branch office. However, a recent analysis shows that only 10 percent of congregations in the United States are taking advantage of this provision."

(Some congregations have no-interest checking, or are even charged a fee for checking...others have a savings account, but earn little interest)

"...At best though, each congregation acting on its own will only achieve a limited return on its excess funds. Therefore, we are encouraging all congregations to give serious thought to participating in the funds-on-deposit arrangement with the branch office."

"There are significant advantages to participating in this arrangement. First of all, each congregation would only need to operate one checking account for its monthly financial activity. Congregations would not have worry about opening savings or other accounts and becoming involved in investment decisions. Second, by consolidating funds, the branch office is able to earn additional interest at rates above what a congregation normally earns by acting on its own. The funds earned by the branch office would then be available for use in building Kingdom Halls in lands with limited resources or for covering other necessary operating expenses. All of this is accomplished by making full use of funds that have already been contributed but now may be idle, earning little or no interest." (emphasis added)

(details follow on how to set this up electronically, via www.jw.org)

(Program is also vailable for operating committee funds, where 2 or more congregations share a Kingdom Hall)

A couple of pages of Q&A follow. Of most interest is no. 2:

"Question 2: If we currently have a checking account for our monthly expenses and a savings account for our excess funds, do we have to close the savings account and send those funds to the branch office? What if we prefer to keep the interest for local congregation needs?"

"Answer: You are to be commended for making wise use of funds dedicated for Kingdom interests. While we leave the decision to the local body of elders, we encourage all to look beyond local circumstances. There are congregations in other lands where greater material needs than we have here in the United States. By applying the Scriptural principle found at 2 Corinthians 8:8-15, we hope to achieve an equalizing for the entire brotherhood. At best, a local congregation will only be able to earn interest at the local rate. The branch office has access to higher rates of interest because of volume and pricing, and by consolidating any excess funds into the funds-on-deposit arrangement, more interest can be generated collectively to benefit the worldwide work." (emphasis added)

(Other Q&A covers mechanical details, depositing the money, getting it back in case of need, etc.)

So there you have it. Instead of earning interest at a local bank, deposit your $$$ with the Society, who will then invest it in [whatever], earn interest that the Society keeps for itself, and if you ever need the money, say, years down the road, we'll cheerfully return whatever principal you donated.

Guess they will establish a legal bank or some sort of Credit-Union

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Would anyone be SURPRISED if this was true?

• VM44
    VM44

The Watchtower Corporation thinks too much about money.

• 10p
    10p

I wouldn't be surprised, or offended. Its actually quite a good idea. When I was an accounts servant, I suffered from that 'hey, thats OUR money' syndrome (ie, local funds). But at the end of the day, the pubs believe in a united organisation, and donate their money towards that. In fact, most in my old cong found it a pain to split up their donations - no one knew how much to donate to what. I thought it would have been even better if all donations went to the society, as well as all bills. But then they would have to keep heaps of accountants employed at the branches instead of getting the most intelligent brother in each cong to play bookeeper for free :) But I don't think it counts as a scandal! Although I do think it is another piece of evidence that the org is struggling financially. My wife brought home a new song book the other day - and its paperbacked and got black lettering instead of gold on the cover! "Money's too tight to mention"

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Ya, This letter was posted here a week or 2 ago.

NMG

• monophonic
    monophonic

"or for covering other necessary operating expenses."

aka legal fees for lawsuits against us for our arrogant mistakes.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

If I was still in, I would just write this off.

Being out, I see it as an easy way for the corporate parent to ease cash flow problems without incurring debt obligations, plain and simple.

BTTT for Bethel

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Yep old news...search first/post later

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Here is the thread on it:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/154911/1.ashx

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Another scam that they are telling people they had better get into or else...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit