Hummingbirds are back

by BrentR 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

How very beautiful.

Herein my area I have only seen a hummingbird once, and it was dead.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Whenever we have had feeders they get overwhelmed with ants. In this house we have several french doors and I would love to put up feeders on the windows. But I am scared of ants climbing on the house! Do you have a trick to keep ants at bay?

momz

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

Brent- Great photos!

I just saw my first hummer of the season this morning- how serendipitous! The ones we have here are as Purza described, the ruby throated ones with a green body, really pretty.

I have a trick for the ants Momz- vaseline or any petroleum jelly. Ants hate it, and if you smear some on the top of your feeder or anywhere the ants might access it they won't cross the vaseline line. I had the same problem until I read the tip somewhere last year and tried it- it really does work. Saves work too, from having to clean the dang piss ants out of the feeders!

I've read that if you have more than one feed you should put it in a place that is out of sight of any other feeders, that way the birds don't get so agitated over the other hummers in the area.

-Potential

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Good idea! Will do it. I have french doors on either side of an outside fireplace, it sticks out so they won't be able to see each other. I love hummingbirds!

momz

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Gorgeous little guys, aren't they? Thanks for sharing these pics!

• BrentR
    BrentR

They are tricky little buggers to get photo's of. You have about five seconds and then they are gone. I have never tried to photograph them before so this was a first for me.

Thanks for the vaseline tip! We have the same ant problem here also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit