Hummingbirds are back

by BrentR 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• BrentR
    BrentR

Even though it's snowing right now.

My wife just hung out the feeders a couple days ago. I shot the pics off of our covered porch.

alt

alt

alt

alt

• Casper
    Casper

That is so "Awesome"...!!!

The last time I remember seeing a hummingbird was when I was little in my grandmother's flower bed. That was many, many years ago..

Thanks for sharing.

Cas

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

My mom loved hummingbirds and had two feeders on the porch. Dad keeps them filled and we have hummers all year long. It's spring and they are really showing up in droves. Yeah Hummingbirds!!! W.Once

• Purza
    Purza

Those are great photos Brent. I am impressed!

We have "hummers" in Northern California year round, but yours look different. Ours are green with ruby colored heads (I think the they are ruby-throated hummingbirds). Two years ago I had a hummingbird nest outside my window at work. I saw two eggs hatch and two babies emerge over the course of a couple of weeks. It was truly awesome to see such tiny little birds grow up to become beautiful hummingbirds!

Purza

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

great pictures ! we need to put nectar in ours since they should be here soon if not now.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Brent: my parents live in Bellevue, and have had hummingbirds all winter. Mom took the feeders down for awhile on the assumption the birds needed to be encouraged to go south. After a while she realized they were still around and figured they needed to eat. I just put ours up last weekend. So far I haven't seen any.

Those pictures are fantastic.

• BrentR
    BrentR

Thanks! They are facinating and entertaining to watch. It gets pretty funny when an "alpha male" decides the feeder is his and has to chase off anyone else who dares to slurp from his feeder. They can get very violent.

If it does not stop snowing and warm up they are all going to be on the next plane to Florida real soon.

I got one more pic tonight.

alt

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

lovely photos. We have lots of hummingbirds here in the desert, Anna's hummingbirds they are called. They are very small and have iridescent purple heads and chests, especially the males. So fun to watch them.

• chickpea
    chickpea

still several weeks to go before i get to say that!! but i am at the ready, having just purchased a replacement feeder in order to have a second one up on the deck to keep them "playing nice"... boy, are they little scrappers when it comes to their feeding!!!...... they have and will dive bomb me if i am too close, whilst tending the flowers..... little scrappers indeed!!!!

very cool pics! thanks for sharing....

• BrentR
    BrentR

I have been away for a couple months and when I came back I saw too many sad and very "heavy" threads. So I thought I would try to lighten things up a little (I hope). We have feeders in front of most of our windows and it's always fun to watch them. They will even chase off much larger birds if they get too close to the feeders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit