Maybe I should have gone to Memorial....possible regrets.

by oompa 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• cognac
    cognac

oopma-

I wouldn't worry about it to much... There are so many people there they probably barely would have even noticed... Anyways, if you want to go to a "make-up" meeting, then fine, go, it won't kill ya... However, it might give your wife an idea that you may come back, which might not be good...

Anyways, it could have been worse...

Ready for a hilareous story???

MY FRIEND (a fader) CAME DRUNK!!!! lol, she was puking in the bathroom and I had to drive her home. I missed everything but the last 2 minutes...

She and her sister really didn't want to go but were pressured into it. They decided to have a few cocktails beforehand so they "could deal with it" and that was that...

Anyways, nobody noticed (thanks to me)...

So, I drove them home and found out her sister was an apostate also!!!

Anyways, it could have been worse...

• moshe
    moshe

Go to some meetings- well, Oompa if you can keep your mouth shut, OK- if not , Stay home!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I kind of think for special events it would be solely a sign of respect for their occasion.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I kind of think for special events it would be solely a sign of respect for their occasion.

Sorry for the double post (PC demunz?)...the trouble I have with such is that it doesn't ever seem to be received as a, "I'm here out of respect for your tradition". Because: it isn't just a "tradition", with awareness that others have other "traditions"; this is proof of your allegience, proof that you are coming back; and there will never be a reciprocal honoring of other "traditions". There's no give and take - there's the Truth and then what everyone else does.

A funeral is never about remembering the dead; it's about preaching to those gathered.

Meeting attendance is a barometer of your faith, not an occasion of worship.

It is regretable that there are those JWs that will only do business with you if you're in good standing - then meeting attendance, religion, worship, becomes little more than a cynical business transaction. I find that discouraging.

Of course, this is just my experience; your mileage may vary.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    I am afraid the judgemental people that they are, may not be able to stand to be around me anymore, and that impacts family.

What kind of Friends would pass judement so quicky, You don't need that.

There is a saying Keep your Friends close and keep your enemys closer.

• oompa
    oompa
    Jamiebowers: If you had gone to the memorial, wouldn't you have just been giving your family and your superficial friends false hope?

I am thinking that I may be able to make life a little more normal for my wife, son, and friends if I just lighten up a little, and don't run them away like I already have showing them the real truth at every opportunity. Yes this may give some of them false hope, but man if ever turn about is fair play.....this should be it! It may actually give me more opportunity to effect change, but I don't think I can stomach more than once a month.......oompa

• oompa
    oompa
    OTWO: You may be able to keep some friends that way. I doubt it, but you never know.
    My best friend (JW) hasn't shunned me yet, maybe you have people like him.

I actually do otwo, I would say there are about 6 or 7 couples that we can have over for a grilor go out to dinner, and vice versa. PLUS most of them have kids my kids age, and those kids will go fishing/boating or play tennis. So it may be worth it just to keep a toe in......oompa

• oompa
    oompa
    OTWO: You may be able to keep some friends that way. I doubt it, but you never know.
    My best friend (JW) hasn't shunned me yet, maybe you have people like him.

I actually do otwo, I would say there are about 6 or 7 couples that we can have over for a grilor go out to dinner, and vice versa. PLUS most of them have kids my kids age, and those kids will go fishing/boating or play tennis. So it may be worth it just to keep a toe in......oompa

• oompa
    oompa
    Voideater: Meeting attendance is a barometer of your faith, not an occasion of worship.

Yeah aint it great? Everybody who know me knows the WTBS totally destroyed my faith...faith in the org, bible, and by way of it, god, jesus etc.........For all other dubs, whether I go once a year, or 12 times a year, that still translates into oh so weak faith...judge away......oompa

BTW...it feel kind of neat blowing off the memorial...get everyone talking....then walk in for a plain ol sunday meeting....what fun.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I remember going to the memorial (93 my last ever ) and it did not mean much (never went back again , not even C/A,D/A ) so just slip away , you will be better for it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit