Why are some atheists so pushy?

by nvrgnbk 62 Replies latest jw friends

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Shawn...Have you ever looked at Atheist rulers...they make the crusaders religion look like pacifist

The crusades were carried out "in the name of god" - what's more, in the name of a supposedly loving, merciful god.

Communist bloodbaths, if that's what you are referring to, were not carried out "in the name of atheism".

• Satanus
    Satanus

Tophat

Sorry, wrong. Ra, for instance, is the sun, and you know what the sun is made of ;) Hot stuff. Of what is your god made? ;)

S

• TopHat
    TopHat

Doomer...BUT they were Atheist ....and they suppressed religion of any kind by killing any and all religious peoples and destroying their temples and churches all because they hated religion. I don't like religion but I wouldn't kill anyone over it. I wouldn't kill an Atheist either.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

People that have to cut and paste shit, have zero clue and zero originality. If I had a dime for every time that some holy roller spewed the same recycled shit, I would have my Audi r8 by now. I am an Atheist. I am by a damn shot, not pushy. I do however, have an issue with sheeple that feel the need to utter the same redundant garbage again and again just to get their rocks off because they are 'religious' and or 'christian' and better than anyone else. Just to let you know. The circular logic is BEYOND old. Please come up with something else or shut up.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

You miss the point Journey. The caption at the top says clearly 'why are some atheists pushy.' Where did you get the idea that this was a debate on the existence of God? This is on the topic of whether atheists are pushy in comparison to Theists, presumambly. (It was a theist who made the accusation, Warlock.) My post highlighted the absurdity of such a comment in light of the fact that all of the worlds greatest atrocities have been committed by theists and that theists are clearly far more pushy than atheists. Your comment would be a good one for another thread, but here it is squarely off topic. Incidentally, I never say that God doesn't exist, though I am an atheist. It is impossible to prove a negative, this is a scientific fact. It is impossible to prove that God does not exist, just as it is impossible to prove that the Green Martian Blob in the sky does not exist. What I say is that 'the god you believe in does not exist." The God that people believe in does not exist. This is why it IS relevant to talk about what religion has done, and why religion's failures reflect on the God that they believe in. It is all done in his name, and all done by his followers, or at least people who believe in him. If the God you believe in is real, then he is a very fucked up God based on your behavior. Shouldn't believers in the true God have exemplary behavior? If they don't, then what benefit is it to be a believer? There may be a blob in the sky for all I know, and if you want we can call it God. but whatever you are picturing in your head when you say God, does not really exist, because if he did, you would have to receive some kind of spirit reinforcement (holy Spirit) from it right? Prayer might be involved, and claims of supernatural answers to prayers. If you are just the same or worse than everyone else who does not believe in God, that suggests that the God that you believe in is not real, because it has no effect on you whatsoever. It's like saying that you are listening to a radio station, but there is no sound or signal coming in that anyone can hear, just fuzz and static, no signal at all. Yet, you insist that there is a radio station out there, though your radio, and everyone elses just is not picking up a single signal. Should we assume in that case that there is a station, or that there is no station, or that we simply do not have any evidence that there is a station out there? In other words, by your evil behavior, you prove that there is nothing supernatural going on with you at all, no signal coming in at all, and there is No spirit or God affecting your behavior lest it be an evil God. You then might point out that religious people do some good, very little though I would argue. Then it would only make me say that God is bi-polar, mostly evil but sometimes tame. Or, God forbid, that all of your actions are only human all the time and there is no such thing as God, spirit, cyber monkeys, Santa etc. This is uncomfortable because it would make you 100% responsible for everything that happens in your life. No thanking God, and no blaming thr devil. This hopefully explains why it is relevant to the question of God's existence what people who claim to know him do or do not do. In short, religion's atrocities prove that there is no good god affecting their behavior at all. There is simply no signal coming in from anywhere or anything that anyone can point to. This silence on the airwaves suggests that to say there is no radio station is just as good an answer as to say that there is a radio station. (replace radio station with God or cyber monkeys.)

• TopHat
    TopHat

Atheist DO try to make God something he is NOT....A cybermonkey...OH please, give it break. Do you really think you are funny? Only to another Atheist!

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

You miss the point Journey. The caption at the top says clearly 'why are some atheists pushy.' Where did you get the idea that this was a debate on the existence of God? This is on the topic of whether atheists are pushy in comparison to Theists, presumambly. (It was a theist who made the accusation, Warlock.) My post highlighted the absurdity of such a comment in light of the fact that all of the worlds greatest atrocities have been committed by theists and that theists are clearly far more pushy than atheists. Your comment would be a good one for another thread, but here it is squarely off topic.

Incidentally, I never say that God doesn't exist, though I am an atheist. It is impossible to prove a negative, this is a scientific fact. It is impossible to prove that God does not exist, just as it is impossible to prove that the Green Martian Blob in the sky does not exist. What I say is that 'the god you believe in does not exist." The God that people believe in does not exist. This is why it IS relevant to talk about what religion has done, and why religion's failures reflect on the God that they believe in. It is all done in his name, and all done by his followers, or at least people who believe in him. If the God you believe in is real, then he is a very fucked up God based on your behavior. Shouldn't believers in the true God have exemplary behavior? If they don't, then what benefit is it to be a believer?

There may be a blob in the sky for all I know, and if you want we can call it God. but whatever you are picturing in your head when you say God, does not really exist, because if he did, you would have to receive some kind of spirit reinforcement (holy Spirit) from it right? Prayer might be involved, and claims of supernatural answers to prayers. If you are just the same or worse than everyone else who does not believe in God, that suggests that the God that you believe in is not real, because it has no effect on you whatsoever. It's like saying that you are listening to a radio station, but there is no sound or signal coming in that anyone can hear, just fuzz and static, no signal at all. Yet, you insist that there is a radio station out there, though your radio, and everyone elses just is not picking up a single signal. Should we assume in that case that there is a station, or that there is no station, or that we simply do not have any evidence that there is a station out there?

This hopefully explains why it is relevant to the question of God's existence what people who claim to know him do or do not do. In short, religion's atrocities prove that there is no good god affecting their behavior at all. There is simply no signal coming in from anywhere or anything that anyone can point to. This silence on the airwaves suggests that to say there is no radio station is just as good an answer as to say that there is a radio station. (replace radio station with God or cyber monkeys.)

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Doomer...BUT they were Atheist ....and they suppressed religion of any kind by killing any and all religious peoples and destroying their temples and churches all because they hated religion.

Nope, wrong again. They did it becuase they were powermad dictators who didn't want any priest coming between them and absolute control. Atheism emerged as a necessary consequence of this. It was not the cause.

However, theism WAS the cause of the Crusades, the Inquisition, and countless other atrocities. In fact, your description there reminds me of the "conversions by the sword" that your Christians forced on my northern European ancestors.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Oh, and Warlock, if you don't care whether I believe in God or not, that makes you a hypocrite or at least a sadistic mother. How could you not care if we are tortured for all eternity? You obiously are not much of a believer if that is the case.

Shawn, I'm not your mother, I'm not your father, I'm not your legal guardian. We all make our own choices when it comes to God. We live with that result and we also die with it. Whether we are tortured, or live in bliss for all eterinty, whether God really exists, whether there is actually an afterlife, only the dead know for sure. I am responsible for myself. Each one will carry his own load. Warlock

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Atheists have a great sense of urgency because they know the time left is reduced.

"Suddenly, nothing happened!"

Yes, I am an atheist. Let's skip the crap and cut ot the chase: you can only be saved if you give me money and power over your life. You DO want to be saved, don't you? Cash is best. Sooner is better than later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit