PROVE you are a conscious being

by journey-on 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• journey-on
    journey-on

What words would you use? What descriptions about your existence would you make to prove you are conscious?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I want to die.

• chikikie
    chikikie

'I think therefore I am'

ok I pinched it, descartes i think.

Initially, Descartes arrives at only a single principle: thought exists. Thought cannot be separated from me, therefore, I exist (Discourse on the Method and Principles of Philosophy). Most famously, this is known as cogito ergo sum (Latin: "I think, therefore I am"), or more aptly, "Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (Latin: "I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"). Therefore, Descartes concluded, if he doubted, then something or someone must be doing the doubting, therefore the very fact that he doubted proved his existence. [4]

• Casper
    Casper

I think the "fact", that I think, feel, love and have the ability to "Question" things and wonder about the future makes me a conscience being... so, I guess for me.... it's the emotional aspect of being alive...

I want to die.

Hopefully you don't really mean that.....but, I can see your point. I suppose only a conscience being would be able to want to die.

Cas

• cognac
    cognac

I bet I'm not. I bet I'm in somebody else's dream and they are going to wake up at any moment and this crap will all be done with...

• Gopher
    Gopher

If they could hook me up to the right equipment (an EEG), they'd be able to measure brain waves. If so, that's pretty solid evidence I'm conscious. If not, well it's been nice knowing y'all !

• *summer*
    *summer*

Actually, most of the time I am not conscious. Like most people, I just go through the motions of life.

Only in moments when I am aware of my breathing and become really aware of the present moment...then I can say I am conscious. Consciousness is more awareness than anything else.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I prefer the odoriferous proof of one's existence: I stink, therefore I am.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I cannot prove it. I could just as easily be a biological machine running consciousness emulaton software.

• DT
    DT

I can prove my consciousness to me, but not to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit