Did you ever buy from Ebay?

by JH 22 Replies latest jw friends

• brinjen
    brinjen

I've bought quite a few things off Ebay. My PowerMac G4 350 Mhz, paid $129 for that including freight, thought that was a pretty good deal. A second hand dealer here in Darwin has the same system (but with 64Mb of RAM, mine has 192Mb as well as a extra 10Gb HDD) with a 15" CRT monitor for over $500. A Mac compatible USB wireless adaptor for $20 (including postage), works a treat. Some mineral foundation that's $35 in the stores for $20. Found a supplier of henna based lip makeup that stays on all day and you don't notice you're wearing, $12 each. Some baritone electric guitar strings that sound a treat on my guitar (definitely getting more of those ) and the odd old Watchtower publication, waiting on delivery of a copy of 'The Divine Plan Of The Ages' that I just bought. Pictures show it to be in very good condition, it was printed in 1908 at Alleghany.

All up, I'd say my exerience with Ebay has been quite positive.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I recently had a bad experiance with Ebay. I was bidding on what was advertised as a 10K gold sahpire and diamond ring. I won and promply paid for my item. I received a fake gold fake saphire and fake diamond ring. I contacted the seller and I complained to both Ebay and Paypal because it was advertised as a 10K gold ring. It wasn't even gold plated. The seller refunded my money no questions asked. I waited till after the money was back on my card and I sent the ring back. The seller never even asked me to returne it. I did anyway. I've decided for now to not buy anything from Ebay till I have my friend at work check it out for me and the seller.

The other experiance I've had with Ebay were all very good. However this one bad seller has killed any intrest in Ebay at all for me. I'd rather buy from Amazon.com.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I wonder if the bidding is honest.

Lets say that a person wants 50 dollars for an article and I offer 20$, and no one else bids......can that same person bid under a different name so that I have to bid even higher to finally win the article....?

My son-in-law explained it to me this way and I have seen it happen A seller can put a book (let's say) on auction. He can start the bidding at $1.00 But he can also set a minimum he will accept his maximum (say $20.00 which is not disclosed) Bidders think they see a deal and the bids start to go up. If someone gets the highest bid at $15.00 and the auction ends then the seller will say his minumum has not been met so there is no sale. The seller can then put the book back on auction and try again to get his maximum. Many bidders will wait until the last minute to try to get the high bid in right before the end of the auction. The seller cannot do this. If I remember correctly a bidder can put a bid in just a bit higher than the last bid but they can also set their bidding to increase as soon as someone else bids. Let's say he sets his highest bid at $15.00. The starting bid is $3.00 and he makes a counter bid of $4.00. His bidding will increase $0.50 automatically. You bid higher and his will bid again automaticaly until he meets his maximum. Most experienced bidders won't bid unless they have to. No sense in jacking up the price for no reason.

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

Plenty. Watch out for scammers if you sell! If you are sent an email that looks "official" that asks you to ship the item overseas and then your money will be transferred to your PayPal account- DON'T DO IT!!! Especially if the buyer wants you to ship it to Nigeria! They are bad about scamming over there! Bidding does go crazy at the end of an auction, especially the last 15- 30 seconds! And yes, some sellers can have a friend across town set a high bid and if no one bids higher, then all you have to do is pretend that your friend paid and you shipped the item, and then he sands you some very nice feedback which makes your seller rating look even better even though no transaction took place! This works for a while, but becomes increasingly difficult because even if your buddy changes his username on eBay, it still know that it's the same person. It starts looking awfully suspicious if your buddy is the only one buying stuff from you, unless you sell something like golf balls or blank CDs.

• karvel
    karvel

Feist's first cd: 'Monarch (Lay Down Your Jeweled Head)'

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It is really really important that you read every word of the description. My son in law told me that he had seen some things that looked great but when you read the fine print you could see it wasn't what it seemed to be.

Fraudsters should be reported

• Carmel
    Carmel

Got my Kawasaki Vulcan on Ebay! First time seller but he did everything right. Ebay had done me well. I use my paypal for paying so I'm doubly insured. carmel

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I've used a freind to help me buy. He was enter a set amount in the last 5sec. If my bid, that was placed in the last 15sec, fell.

• bite me
    bite me

I use the sister site www.half.com I bought season 24.. all up to the latest one all for 20 dollars or less. :) Just read the reviews of the seller. You want more positive results I only had one issue, but I did get my money back in less than a month.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I had an eBay store, which I'm going to reopen soon (after having surgery in April.) I've sold hundreds and hundreds of items and never once had a dishonest buyer. I've bought dozens of items and only been burned once. If I had read the seller's feedback before bidding, I wouldn't have bid. I have 100% positive feedback and read other sellers' feedback very carefully now before buying from them.

I generally start auctions very low for two reasons: one, "Fee"Bay, as sellers call it, charges an insertion fee that is based upon the starting price of the item. If I feel fairly confident that the item is a big seller, I'll put something in at .99 to start to keep my insertion fee low. Also, I can set a reserve price but still attract interested bidders because they don't know what my reserve price is.

Bidding just to run up the price is called "shill bidding" and is not acceptable. If you ever find a seller doing this, they should be reported to eBay immediately.

I always try to give the best customer service I can and be as honest as I can so that I will get repeat customers. It doesn't make sense to rip somebody off for a little bit of money and then lose a customer forever~and scare off future customers when they read negative feedback.

Read the feedback comments, read the feedback comments, read the feedback comments, especially any negatives or neutrals!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit