Christianity in a nutshell?

by gaiagirl 25 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

A bit of a reductio ad absurdum, gaiagirl.

Here is a good start:

http://www.amazon.com/Mere-Christianity-C-S-Lewis/dp/0060652926

Burn

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BurnTheShips:

Here is a good start:

http://www.amazon.com/Mere-Christianity-C-S-Lewis/dp/0060652926

His magical wardrobes and talking beavers were more convincing.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

"Jewish Zombie"? Is he, by any chance, associated with Rob Zombie, a.k.a, "White Zombie"?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Well, as satire points toward a truth, sure...sometimes words can be chosen for shock value, though, and while "zombie" (for example) may have a certain semantic acceptability in the tale, the connotations and phraseology (apparently chosen for their unsavory visceral reaction) tend to distort meaning as well as preserve it. ;-)

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

WTW says, "Notice that the truth was supposed to set one free, not bind one to a bunch of mandatory traditions, celebrations, observations, and/or sacrifice."

I further wonder...what might life be like if Christian religions didn't demand that we are so unworthy so as to need an intermediary with the divine? Might we not do away with the need for a scarifice on our behalf, the need for something to intercede on our behalf, a mechanism through which we receive blessing?

Might we not realize an even greater freedom if we thought ourselves already worthy? What if no belief is required at all?

• Robdar
    Robdar

WTW says, "Notice that the truth was supposed to set one free, not bind one to a bunch of mandatory traditions, celebrations, observations, and/or sacrifice."

I further wonder...what might life be like if Christian religions didn't demand that we are so unworthy so as to need an intermediary with the divine? Might we not do away with the need for a scarifice on our behalf, the need for something to intercede on our behalf, a mechanism through which we receive blessing?

Might we not realize an even greater freedom if we thought ourselves already worthy? What if no belief is required at all?

I've wondered about this too. IMO, the basic tenets of Christianity teach this. Of course, churches don't like us thinking this way. Afterall, what would they do without all that money and power?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    His magical wardrobes and talking beavers were more convincing.

So you've actually read it? The whole thing?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think Christianity has people going to heaven. The wactower was sending them to paradise.

The bible probably has them going both places.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I thought the post's title read "Christianity is a nut's hell".

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29
    talking beavers

What??? I got confused. When did the Vagina Monologues become part of this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit